Chapter 1

(The Power Of Love By Huey Lewis And The News)

Emerald's Pov

The Power Of Love Is A Curious Thing.

I sat down on the ice with a huff. I wanted nothing to do with skating right now. I wanted to go home. The coldness radiated off of the ice and I closed my eyes. Should I pull an Elsa and say, the cold never bothered me?

I rolled my eyes, and shut the voice in my head up. Talking to myself was something I grew accustomed to because of skating. Having myself pinpoint every move I had to do, I calculated it all in my head.

It's something that made me proud of myself, because I knew what I was doing. I stood up slowly and skated over to the edge. My coach, Lauren, clapped.

"That was good!" I shook my head at her with a smile.

But I know I can do better. I know that this wasn't my best.

"You get going. Get home safely!" Lauren called out as I slipped my shoes on and carried my skates out.

"You as well!" I responded before leaning against the door and pushing it open.

The door was pulled open and I let out a breath. The puff of smoke from the heat came from my mouth with it. Something that was oddly serotonin boosting for me.

"Hey Em." He let the door fall closed and I smiled.

"Hello!" I said with a smile.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked and I shook my head no.

"I'm fine." I smiled at him.

Being the same height as him was something that I was proud of. That just meant that he wouldn't make short jokes. He wrapped his jacket around me and I hugged it closer, rolling my eyes.

"Let's get going?" He asked, unlocking his car.

I nodded and put my things in the back seat before getting into the passenger's seat. Some random music station was playing and the snow was starting to fall down. It was currently twenty degrees outside, and we were supposed to get around a foot of snow.

"What do you want to eat?" He asked, putting his hand on my headrest and backing out of the parking lot.

My breath hitched, because, I think we all know why actually. I averted my attention to the cars driving by.

"I'm fine with whatever." I said and I could feel his eyes roll.

"I asked you to pick something." He said and I laughed.

"And i said, i'm fine with whatever." I turned to face him and the car came to a stop at a red light.

"I heard what you said, but that's not a good answer, Em." He faced me, biting the inside of his cheek.
"You have to stop doing that." I slapped his cheek lightly and he rolled his eyes.