Chapter 21

(That's The Way I Loved You By Taylor Swift)

Emerald's Pov

The cap sat on my head, my valedictorian ban around my neck. My gown was smooth, probably because Lauren ironed it a hundred times. My red heels to match my cap and gown. I can't believe I've actually come this far. I stood behind Robbie in line, assigned sets were killer when you're sitting next to your ex.

As we walked into the gym, parents were spread out in the bleachers, causing me to keep my head down because my family wasn't there. One by one, our line got up, and our names got called up. When my name was called, I felt overwhelming pride fill my veins.

The principal hugged me with a smile on her face.

"You were one of my favorites, Emerald. I will miss having you here." I laughed as we got our picture taken and I walked back off stage and sat down. Robbie turned to me as I looked down at my degree with a smile on my face.

"Congrats Emerald." Robbie spoke and I nodded my head.

"You too." I didn't look at him. I didn't even want to respond but I'm not gonna be the immature person in this situation.

"I think we should talk after this, Emmy. I miss you." Robbie spoke as I handed my things to one of my teachers who was standing at the end of the row. She then handed them to Lauren who had a smile on her face.

"I would like to welcome up your valedictorian!" My principal shouted as my teacher held out her hand helping me stand. The claps surrounded me, and now I know why I left four years ago. These people were all here for me. Not my brother, and not for Luke. It was such a breath of fresh air.

"Let's go Emerald!" One of the football players yelled at the front, causing me to laugh.

I walked across the stage, stopping in front of the podium after hugging my principal once again.

"Wow. I never expected to be in this position." I spoke, as I looked around at my classmates. Their cheers erupted once more.

"When I found out that I was going to be giving a speech, I had no clue what to do or what to say. You all stood by my side for the past four years, and there was always someone there for me when I needed it." Lauren was standing up recording on her phone which made me smile.

"From the hockey team sharing their rink with us ice skaters." The hockey team yelled, causing me to laugh and shake my head.

"To the football players teaching us girls how to throw a punch." Laughter rang out through the entire gym.

"And to the countless number of us, that were making our own name, and being our own person. We discovered who we finally were, and we did it together." The door to the gym opened, and my mouth hung open.

"To the countless friends and family that stood by our sides supporting us in these past four years." The blonde hair and blue eyes that i didn't expect to see here.

"To the people we lost along the way, and to the people we gained." I locked eyes with Luke, and I smiled.

"And if you lose someone along the way, do not give up, because they always come back. And when they do eventually come back, never let go of them, ever again." His smile formed on his face as I finally peeled my eyes away from him.

"Do not let your fear of falling keep you from flying." The cheers erupted as classmates started to scream and jump around.

"I love you Emerald!" One of the hockey players screamed causing me to laugh.

"Never stop yourself from going home, because home is where your heart is. Whether it be a place, or a person." My eyes draw back to Luke who's standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"Always go home." I take a step back from the podium and the cheers don't stop.

"And with the power invested in me by the state of Philadelphia, I announce you all, college graduates of Temple university!"

"Emerald, can we please talk." Robbie asked as we exited in our lines. Once we got outside I looked around like crazy until my eyes caught a familiar man holding flowers.

"Emerald-" I hold my arms out as I run towards the man I've loved my entire life. He wrapped his arms around me before lifting me off the ground.

"I'm so fucking proud of you, Emerald Emrani." My feet hit the ground and I looked up at him with a smile on my face.

"And i'm so fucking in love with you Luke Brandon." He smiled as his lips hit mine. I felt myself smile.

"Not as much as I love you, Emerald." He handed me the flowers before Lauren came out screaming. I turned around, Luke had his hands resting on my hips as I looked back at Robbie. I smiled, and once Lauren started taking pictures of us, I smiled even more, because this is where I am the most at home.

"Congratulations Babe." He kissed the side of my head and I smiled.

"Does this mean you're my boyfriend or something?" I joked, causing him to laugh.

"I guess this makes you my girlfriend... Or something." 

917 Words