Chapter 7

(Miserable Man By David Kushner)

Emerald's Pov

I kicked the box, causing it to slide across the floor. I kicked open the door and walked out to the car. I put the box in the car and went back to grab the other one. Once I put that one into the car I let out a breath.

Lauren pulled up in her car, full of boxes with all of her things. My car was getting pretty stacked. June and Luke walked out of his house, and he looked shocked. Aunt Mel brought Lauren coffee before I went upstairs and grabbed more of my things.

I came back down with the last bit of my stuff and closed the trunk after putting the rest inside. I connected my phone to the aux, and played my playlist before opening my GPS and getting that all set up.

"This is where I say goodbye!" Josie ran outside and I laughed before getting out of the car.

She collided with me and I picked her up off of the ground a little, causing her to squeal.

"I'm gonna have to live with boys now." She crossed her arms and the boys rolled their eyes.

"It will be fine. And I'm a phone call away, I want to hear all of the highschool drama." I pulled away from the hug and looked at her.

She nodded quickly with a smile on her face before Ciara wrapped her arms around me. The motherly warmth I felt with her was always there, even when I was leaving. She had tears in her eyes but smiled the entire time.

"Your parents would be so proud of you, Emerald."
And that was enough for me to break.

Ciara was another mom to me. I couldn't look at Aunt Mel as a mother. Ciara was there my entire life, she was the closest thing I had to one. She was the one that taught me everything after my mother passed. When we pulled away from the hug she wiped my face, and then smiled wider.

"Go give Temple, hell." I laughed and nodded my head before Aunt Mel wrapped her arms around me next.

"Text me when you get there. Let me know how everything is. If you need money, ask me. If you need anything, ask me."

I nodded my head and she smiled before taking a few steps back. June rushed over and picked me up. I whined as soon as I felt my body hit the grass.

"Asshole." I mumbled so nobody could hear us.

He gasped and shot his head up.

"Aunt Mel! Emmy cursed."

"I hope you stub your toe." I retorted before standing up.

"That was so mean. I don't think I'll miss you anymore."

"Alright. Keep that same energy."

I stood up and walked over to the group. Luke walked forward and wrapped his arms around me. My heart was breaking with every second that was passing. Aunt Mel went to talk to Lauren, Ciara joined her. June and Josie were fighting.

His grip tightened when I went to pull away. I didn't fight it, and I stayed in his embrace. I stayed because I didn't want to leave and I knew as soon as I pulled away I would be getting into my car, and leaving, I guess growing up didn't hit me until I pulled away from the hug finally and tried to stop the tears flowing down my face.

I walked over to the driver's seat of my car. I opened the door and looked back at everyone before getting into my car.

I made sure I had the correct address and right as I was about to put the car in drive and drive away. There was a knock at my window. I rolled down my window and Luke leaned his head in.

"If you need anything, call me. I mean it. If some guy is messing with you, call me. I love you, Em."

I love you.

Three words.

Those three words. We never said them to each other. We always felt it was too strong. Or maybe we thought that saying was too strong because we were consumed in each other to no return.

His face morphed into an emotion that I couldn't tell, and he looked like he regretted saying those three words. He looked panicky, which made me wonder, why? He let his hand fall off of my car and started to walk away.

I went to open my car door and chase after him and ask him what he met but Lauren started driving. I looked around and didn't notice him outside, before I let out a breath, closed my window, and started to follow Lauren.

June And Josie jumped around in the street waving at me as I left. Ciara and Aunt Mel stood on the sidewalk as I drove away, waving their hands. And the one person I wanted to see, was gone.

I turned up my music to drown out my thoughts before turning onto the highway and picking up speed.

Goodbye Boston.

854 Words