Chapter 17

(That Way By Tate Mae)

Emerald's Pov

The quietness filled the house as I got back upstairs to Josie's room. I looked down at her sleeping body. She was snoring, holding her pillows tightly and had the blankets pulled up to her neck. I smiled as I got my shoes.

I need to think. I grabbed my phone and my shoes before quietly walking down the stairs.

"Sap are you stupid!!" Luke's voice filled the whole house. I don't know how these girls slept. I quickly walked out of his house and got into my car. I started my car, turning on the radio, letting my thoughts be drowned out by the music coming through my speakers.

Are you gonna kiss me or keep standing there?

I don't know what emotion I was surrounded in, as I grabbed my ice skates from the back seat. I took out my keys and unlocked the ice rink that Lauren was renting for the week. I put my headphones on, taking one look at the time, before completely zoning out on the ice once I had my skates on.

4:01am

There will always be a magnetic pull on Luke that I will always feel. But the question is, do I want to go back to that? I ran for so long from him, scared of everything that would come with a relationship with Luke.

I didn't expect that as soon as I saw him, I would fall into a much deeper trance that captivated me. Luke always had my heart, and when I went away to college, he didn't. But now that I'm back, it makes me feel like college, Robbie, and all the friends that I tried to make. They were all a distraction from the love I was so deep in.

We are supposed to be friends, but the way I kissed Luke made me realize that we will never only be friends. Every time I talk to him, every time I look at him, I fall deeper in love with him, but I don't even know what we are.

Luke had always been my best friend, and now I want something more. After four years, I finally realize that I want more. Ruining our friendship already happened, but it didn't happen because I fell in love with him.

Josie's sweatpants kept my legs warm, her shirt laid against my body as I just skated. The sun was peeking into the windows on the rink, and I felt myself start to drain. My thoughts started to go blank after I had gone over every scenario I could possibly think of.

Do I tell Luke that I regretted the kiss or do I tell him I'm in love with him?

My legs gave out, sitting on the cold ice, I wanted to scream. I wanted to hide away from all of my problems. I sat there trying to catch my breath, sweat running down my face. I took my headphones out and put them into my pocket before trying to get up. My heart was beating like crazy as I tried to slow my breathing.

Skating was my escape from reality. But as I sit here and try to get up, I don't have the strength.

"Em?!" A panicked call comes out from one of the hallways. I untie my skates pushing them to the side as my hands shake.

How long have I been here?

"Emerald?!" As the voice got closer, the overwhelming heat started to get to me. I tried to push myself off the ice before giving up. The footsteps were heard on the concrete, before the gate was opened into the rink.

"Everyone's been worried about you, Em!" Luke's voice got closer as my head started to spin. It was just like the first day he came skating with me.

I laid on the ice, sweaty and hot, while Luke stood above me with a smile on his face.

"Get up!" He laughed and held his hand out to help me. I grabbed onto his hand, and pulled him down with all my strength. I laughed as he hit the ice with a loud thud.

"Josie was worried, she woke up and you were gone. Nobody has heard from you, and nobody has seen you!" The sound of shoes hitting the ice was always satisfying for some reason.

"I was so worried about you, Em." I tilted my head to look at him, and the relieved look turned into panic.

"Emerald, what's wrong?" He knelt down, putting his hand on my cheek, looking into my eyes for an answer.

"I forgot to bring water. I don't know how long I've been here. I was so focused." He grabbed both of my hands, trying to stand me up, but I embarrassingly couldn't. My face heated up with anger and embarrassment as i sat back down on the ice.

"You can leave me here to suffer." I waved him off, wanting this embarrassment to disappear.

"I'm not gonna leave you here."

I'm never gonna let you go ever again, Emerald.

His arm went under my legs, and one around my back, as he lifted me up.

"Couldn't leave me in peace on my ice." I shook my head, playing with my skates that were laying on my lap as he walked back to where my stuff was. Luke set me on the bench and disappeared into a hallway. I reached and grabbed my phone.

8:14am

I wince as I think about how much trouble, and pain I'm going to be in.

"Drink." He handed me two water bottles which I took.

"What were you thinking, Em?" He questioned as he leaned against the boards of the rink.

"Why are you awake? You were up so late last night." I flipped the question around and he looked down at my eyes.

"I stayed awake, so that if you needed anything you could come get me. You've never once slept well in my house, and you always freaked out about it."

I felt my heart grow warm. How could he have remembered something like that from all those years ago? 

1024 Words