thirty-seven

*PLEASE READ NOTE AT THE BOTTOM

*TW TALKS OF DRUG USE IN THE CHAPTER

Ellie Webber

I never pictured myself in a scenario that I'm in right now.

"I have some news," I raised an eyebrow as Penn's voice broke the silence around us. The only noise around us had been the occasional squeak from the cutlery scraping against plates.

Grandma made meatloaf and it was the worst tasting thing I have ever eaten.

But she was proud of it.

"I do too," Grandma spoke, clearing her throat. My eyes went to her as she started to fan herself.

"Grandma, can I go first–"

"Bud, turn on the gosh forsaken fan in this room, my menopause is acting up. These hot flashes are killing me," Grandma cut off Penn. I had to hold back the chuckle that was coming up my throat.

Grandpa rolled his eyes, throwing his napkin down on his plate, muttering curse words as he stood up, reaching for the fan switch. He sat back down, glaring at grandma. "It's still hot in here." Grandma sighed through her words.

Grandpa looked at me, cracking a wink. "I'm sorry Helen, do you want me to leave the room?" I laughed as Penn turned green and grandma scoffed.

I moved my fork around my plate, the green beans were staring at me, laughing. They were all different sizes, making me feel self-conscious. So many green beans in a can, but why did I pick these ones?

There are so many fish in the sea, why did I let the most dangerous one come the closest to me?

"I have a girlfriend." I chewed on my cheek to hold back the words that wanted to flow out of my mouth.

The table was silent after his announcement. Grandpa's face remained neutral as he continued to eat, he was stabbing his green beans as if they were the opponent.

Penn's face fell.

Call it twins intuition, but I knew this was fucking with him more than he'd ever let out.