forty-nine

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber.

It was like a moment when you knew everything was going to go downhill.

I knew that if I hadn't of gotten out of there, I would have stayed and listened and that was not me anymore. I was not that girl anymore. I was not the same girl who would sit and let him treat her like shit. I was not the same girl that was going to allow him to continue to make me feel like some days I was hot and then some days I was cold.

I was not going to allow myself to be put through what I had watched Sloane go through and what I had heard of my cousin going through.

I loved the two of them deeply, and it's okay to give a person multiple chances. It's okay to feel like someone has changed. Matti did change for Naomi. Blake was a whole different person because of Sloane.

And somehow I feel like Reese just stayed like he was Reese.

Until there was a significant change. Until there was a feeling that things had shifted. Until something big happened, I just– could not give him another chance. And that is what my biggest fear was.

I hated the way that I was a hopeless romantic. I hated the way that I read books that didn't have much toxicity in them. I hated the way that books just gave me a beginning, a middle, and a happy ending.

Because life was not like that to me.

Life was a fucking shit show and I was trying to change the channels but the damn battery in the remote died.

Granted, I still loved my cheesy romance books. But for once, I just wanted a book that let me feel like I felt. I wanted a book to tell me, it's okay that you feel your heart coming out of your throat half the time. I wanted a book to tell me that it was okay that I cried over him. I wanted a book to tell me that it was okay that life fucking sucked.

So much had happened between us in such a short period of time. Nobody ever talked about how fast pace college relationships could be. I mean, it's the first relationship you have when their arent any rules. You can go anywhere at any time and do anything.