forty-four

Ellie Webber

Ellie Webber

Is this what heaven felt like?

You know that feeling you have before a concert? That feeling of knowing you're about to see the person who has made you smile more than any other person in this world? The rush? The intense heart beating? Getting ready hours earlier that way you get a good spot in line?

As I stepped off the plane, I stood in the back of the group. The large men acted like walls– or mountains blocking the view for me. But the overwhelming feeling was taking me over.

My feet were on flat ground but my soul had left my body.

This place was all I had ever dreamed about and more.

Call me crazy for romanticizing a college city but it was home– it felt like I belonged here. And for once, I had felt something calling my name just for me.

This feeling, this rush– is the whole reason that most thrillseekers live for. I had never liked life. But now, everything was all piecing together nicely. For once, I wasn't anxious. For once, I was living.

"Alright. The game is tomorrow. It is just past seven here. Get on the buses, get to the hotel, and get some rest. We start early tomorrow morning. We will start with breakfast and while you guys are eating we will be watching film. After film, we are going straight into lifting." Good, Ole Buddy Webber.

"Am I clear?" He asked, voice loud. There was an overwhelming response from the men in suits as they responded with "Yes Sir,". I watched as he nodded. Slowly all of the players started to move one by one towards the bus.

The assistants stood grabbing luggage and piling it in the bus's storage compartment underneath. Grandpa and a few coaches stood shoulder to shoulder looking at a clipboard. I, however, stood not moving.

The view of the skyline was exposed to me once the tall skyscrapers who were a part of the team walked towards the buses. But one skyscraper stood back, waiting for me.

Feeling his thumbs dig into my shoulders, massaging them as his calloused fingers touched me the goosebumps multiplied. "Welcome to Columbus, Webber."

Reese's voice was enough to make my knees buckle. His fingers stopped massaging my shoulders but instead, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, hugging me from behind. His suit cover biceps were strangling me most affectionately.