XIII. The Merchant.

WHAT KIE passes through the opening is a FedEx envelope, "that's not gold." Pope says when he saw it in John B's hands. "Need a hand?" Jake asked Kie who was climbing out. "Yeah," she says quietly, grabbing his arm. "This is from my dad." John B says, looking at Pope next to him just as Kie jumped down and smiled at John B when she looks up.

"Code red. Code red. Square groupers! Square groupers!" JJ exclaimed, turning around to face to them. "Go. Go!" Kie shouts. "It's the guys who robbed your house." JJ says as they hide behind the mausoleum. "Lights!" Kie says to them and they all quickly switch off their lights except for JJ. "Light! Turn your light off, man!" Pope says, turning off JJ's light for him.

"John B? John B! Your light!"

"Do you think it's them?" Kie asked as JJ and Pope peered out. "Homie's got a gun." JJ replied back and Jake sighed deeply. "Screw this." Kie says, running off and the boys were right behind her which caused them to get seen. But they ran and ran nevertheless where they got to a gate they all jumped over, rushing one another. "Guys! Guys!" Pope shouted.

"Shit." Kie says as they stop. "Guys, I'm stuck!" Pope panicks and Jake was the first to rush to him with JJ, Kie and John B behind them. "Pope, come on, man!" JJ says as he took out his gun. "Pope, don't move, alright?" JJ said but John B shoved his gun down as Kie and Jake begun pulling on Pope who's worried about his pants ripping. "Who cares if they rip! You'd rather die?!" Jake said as his shorts then completely ripped off. "Pope, come on!"

"Nice! Come on, dude."

"It's a little Tootsie Roll." John B mused as they rushed into the van and Jake scoffs. "Guys! Come on!" He says but can't help laughing with Kie as they got into the back. "Stupid!" Kie says as she jumps into the van and then Jake, shutting the door behind them.

At the Chateau, they all rushed in and John B went over to the table as JJ rushed into the kitchen for whatever reason. Which is then answered when Pope tells him, "that bread had mold on it three days ago."

Jake cringed when he heard him, looking over. "Yeah, I'll just pull off the bad parts." He says as Pope walks over to the other three. "I recommend not doing that?" Jake says, crossing his arms as he looked at JJ. "Mold is like good for you. It's just a natural organism." He says and Jake rolls his eyes. "JJ." He says and the blond merely walks over.

"Hot damn! Let's do it."

John B opens up the letter as JJ gags from the sandwich he had made. "What did I tell him?" Jake whispers, looking at Pope who just nods softly as John B unfolds a map with coordinates on it and arrows with an x that marks the spot. "Holy shit." The boy says.

"Oh. X marks the spot." Pope pointed and Jake raised his brows. "Longitude, latitude. Wait, there's somethin' else in there." John B reached into the FedEx envelope and took out a tape recorder. John B just examines it intently as JJ asked curiously, "what's that?"

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass." Kie says, glancing at Pope and Jake before looking down. "Don't be mean." Jake whispers, staring at the tape recorder in John B's hands. "Yeah, Kie--" "shut up and let him play it, dummy." Jake says suddenly and JJ looks at him offended as John B then presses the play button.

"Dear Bird." Big John's voice played over the tape and Jake glanced at JJ and Pope right away. "Who's Bird?" The blond boy merely asked. "That's what my dad called me." John B replied back with as the tape goes on.

"I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either." At that point, John B looks up at Pope and JJ who glance at one another as Kie looked at Jake who was staring at the tape recorder before looking up at her to see her looking already. "You're probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn."

There's another short pause and a small sigh coming from John B's father. "And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits." Big John sighs again before continuing, "if not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If somethin' happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it." There's another long pause.

"I'll see you on the other side." And then the tape was over, static crackles over it as John B just clicks it off and Jake glanced over at Pope and JJ, recognizing the pained look on John B's face. The boy stood up, sighing as Jake looked around at the others, pursing his lips.

"Holy shit, he did it! Big John-- he found the Merchant--" "Can you... can you please?" Kie said, as her and Jake had taken notice to John B's crying. "Sorry." JJ whispers as Jake approached the boy leaning against the doorframe. Jake didn't say anything as he put his hand to John B's shoulder and Kie came to stand behind the boys. John B turned slowly towards Jake who hugged him tightly and Kie joined their hug, also comforting John B.

A.N.
i'm kinda living for the idea of jake and kie being the parents of the group, which is what i'll be aiming towards when there's problems and such among all of the pogues. especially when pope confesses his feelings and jake can sense what's going on between him and kie