XXII. More Personal.

THE NEXT day, the group were all in the van, heading over to Shady Acres where Pope's great-grandma was. "Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip." Pope now tells them, staring at the key he's holding in his hands. "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo." Pope says and JJ reached over.

"Can I see that?" He asked as the Heyward boy hands it over. "Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah simply asks, looking at Pope. "I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance." He says as Jake held up the phone in his hands. "Well, according to Wikipedia, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king." He says and Kie, seated between him and Sarah, leans closer to get a good look at his phone.

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" JJ said as he looks over at John B. "Shit, talk about over-gifting. Look at that thing." Kie says and Jake shows the photo to Sarah and then towards JJ and Pope. "Looks like there's a person standing next to it." Jake says. "So it's a giant ass cross." JJ simply said to them.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829." Jake read aloud to them, brows furrowed together. "Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ asked, looking over at him. "Oh, no, not the triangle." John B looks at the blond.

"It always leads back to the triangle, dude. Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda." JJ said, smacking John B's hand gently as Jake looks at Pope. "Okay, so what does a key above your mee-maw's pharmacy have to do with any of this?" He asked as Sarah looks down. "Yeah." She says as Kie glanced at Jake then looked at Pope.

"Where do we come in?"

"I don't know. That's a good question."

When they arrived, Jake went over to the open van door, about to hop out when Pope turns to him. "Hey, actually, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself." He says and Jake looks at him, then glanced back at Kie behind him. "Oh... alright." He says and the Carrera girl looks at Pope. "Are you sure?" She asked him.

"Yeah. I can handle it." He nods, so Jake turns to Kie. "Hey, man. Pick you up in a bit." John B calls out to the boy crossing the street. In the drive, Jake kept glancing over at Kie who had a concerned look on her face.

At the Kildare Surf Shop, the girls headed inside while the boys stayed back in the van, waiting for them. "Remember when life was simple?" JJ asked the two suddenly. "Yeah, like seven days ago." John B simply says, looking away. "I mean, guys, think about it. Ward's still out there, and he's got the gold." He said now, glancing at Jake sitting behind him.

"I know. I know." JJ said as Jake also nods, looking down. "And he killed my dad." John B added on. "John B, we know, and we won't let that go." Jake tells him, patting the boy's arm gently. "But I'm worried about you, man." JJ said, looking up at John B. "It feels like it's either you or him. And you know who else I'm worried about? Sarah." JJ says, looking away, just as the girls exit the store.

"I mean, bro, like, it's her dad. You see what I'm saying?" The Maybank says as John B just stared at his girlfriend. "She knows what he did. Alright, so what's the deal with this Limbrey chick?" He now asked. "Pope says she has evidence on tape that could put Ward away, right?" He looks over, at JJ, then looked behind him, towards Jake again.

"Mm-hmm." Jake nods, then glanced at JJ. "On the other hand though, she did just try to kidnap Pope, and--" "but think about it, alright?" John B cut off the blond boy. "If we can get that evidence, it's done. We could put Ward away for good and finally get justice for my dad. This can all be over in one shot, JJ. And I get it. It's dangerous." John B says.

"Good thing your best friend's JJ Maybank." The boy replied with, smiling. "Cause I already got a plan." He says and John B lets out an exasperated sigh as Jake just scrunched up his face at the blond boy. "Hopefully it's better than springing John B out of jail."

"Nah, this is my best yet. Listen..."

"Of course, I thanked Topper. He saved my life, and I'd put him through so much already. And you'd think that that is the crime of the century." Sarah tells Kie who looks away. "Tell me about it." She says and Sarah sighs. "I mean, if it was the case with you and Jake, you wouldn't be mad at him being with Olivia, right?" The Cameron girl asked her.

"No. Not at all. I mean, I'd be skeptical because it's the mother of his child, but if he was in danger like you, I wouldn't be mad at all." Kie says, looking at her best friend. "And we're the dramatic ones." Sarah says and Kie giggles as they then climb into the van.

"Hey." Kie smiled, handing over her soda to Jake who took it from her, smiling back before he took a sip from the cup. Sarah smirked, glancing at the girl next to her who just blushed and looked away, smiling.

"There he is." JJ says when they've already been sitting for maybe five minutes outside the retirement home. Jake leaned over and opened the door before sitting back in his seat, the Heyward boy just climbing in, taking his seat behind John B. They all watch him as he lets out a breath, "so, how'd it go?" John B is the first to speak up in the silence.

"Shit just got way more personal."

authors note
i like that pope had his own storyline in season 2 so much, especially the fact he found out he was related to denmark tanny

+ i forgot to update yesterday because i was working on my homework lol. anyway i'll start setting reminders i guess for when i need to update bc i always forget or i'm busy