XXV. My Girlfriend.

AT THE Chateau, the group were gathered together where they found that John B brought over Sarah as the others walked in. "No effing way! You brought he here? So what? She's in on this now?" Kie asked him.

John B glanced over at Pope, Jake and JJ for help as the two boys were sitting together with Jake standing by them. "I dunno." Pope shrugs as Jake looked away, not wanting to be apart of it. "Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." JJ spoke up.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote. This is our thing. A Pogue thing." Kie emphasizes that Sarah is a Kook and she doesn't belong here. "I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope voices his concerns as he always does. "Thank you!" Kie says.

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B lashes out. "I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably." Pope says and JJ nods. "That's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him." JJ says and Jake nods. "It was so cute." He whispers. "That's cute, guys."

"You know we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her." Kie says before looking at the blonde girl on the couch with John B. "Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" She raised her voice. "Then leave." The brunette shot back right away, tilting her head to the side. Sarah scoffs, looking over at John B.

"I told you." She says making him look back at her. "Told him what, exactly? That you're a liar?" Kie asked her. "No, that you're a shit-talking bitch." Sarah says and they start arguing as JJ and Pope turn to one another.

"My money's on Kie." Pope searches through his pockets as Jake hits them both. "Guys." He whispered right away. "Oh, come on, Jake. We all know you'd bet on Kie." JJ says, looking up at him making him scrunch up his face. "Guys, that's not the point, the--" "Everybody shut up!" John B raised his voice making them stop. "Kie, you are my best friend, right?"

Kie doesn't answer but she basically implies that she is by her reaction. "And Sarah, you're..." He paused and looked away. "You're my..." He says and Jake glanced between them, that uncomfortable feeling back again. "Say it." She says and he smiles at her.

"You're my girlfriend."

"Oh... that's new." Pope whispers and Jake looked at them, grimacing. "She's your girlfriend now? What was all that talk about you were just using her for information?" Kie looked at the other boys then back at John B. "Get a map. Cut her loose." She says and Jake raised his brows, staring at Kie for a moment.

"You said you were using me?" Sarah looks at John B who's just staring at the ground. "No." He denies it but they all spoke up. "Yeah, you did." His four friends confirm it. "Look, love just walked in, okay?" He says and Kie looks away. "Oh, vomit." He says and Jake cringed. "I didn't expect it. It just-- it kind of happened." He looked at Sarah and Jake looks at Kie.

"And I'm not gonna deny it. Right?" He says as Sarah just stared back at him with a surprised expression. "Oh! That's corny." Pope says as Kie looks back at John B. "Look, cut the bullshit, John B. If she's in, I'm out." She says and John B looked away. "Kie, I'm not doing this." He looked at her. "You are gonna decide." She says right away, persistent on it.

"I can't!"

"I'm very interested, actually. Me or her?" She asked him and he answers quickly. "Both." He says and Jake rolls his eyes. "Ooh." Pope says as JJ whistles. "Went for the Hail Mary." The blond whispers as Kie walks off, out the door and towards the dock. Sarah looks at John B, "it'll be cool, right?" She asked him.

"I'm gonna leave." She then stands up. "Sarah, don't." He says. "Gonna let ya'll chat. Let me know." She throws one more glance at the boy before she left and Jake sighs. "I'd just like to say, you handled that beautifully." JJ tells him as Jake just scoffs out a laugh.

Unfortunately, Jake was the one given the task to go talk to Kie. "You're the dad of our group and quite literally an actual father, so you can fix this, right?" John B tells him and Jake furrows his brows. "Okay, that's fair, but why me? Kie and I rarely talk. And now we have to talk about feelings? And it's gonna be about girl stuff? This is too much." He denied as he shook his head and JJ comes to his side.

"Think of it as practice for when your daughter will be a teenager. She's gonna be as annoying and dramatic like this. Try and go hear her out. Plus, you and Kie will have some alone time--" "Don't make this into something it's not." Jake looked at him right away and he just pulled his hands back to raise them defensively.

"I can go talk to her." Pope offered and Jake looks at him. "It's fine... I-I can do it. Yeah." He nodded to hype himself up and JJ pats his chest. "Hell yeah, you can." He's smiling but when Jake walks away, he looks at John B and Pope. "They're both so oblivious."

When Jake gets to the end of the pier, Kie is crying so he hesitated for a split second. He's never seen her cry. This was something so intimate and personal. He sat down beside her anyway, not saying anything for a second. And what he doesn't know is that for Kie, it helps. She sat there, staring at the water and her tears were slowly going away. The angry feeling she had towards John B was there, but she was no longer sad about it because of Jake.

And all he's doing is sitting there. In silence. He's thinking, calculating out the many things he could say to her and the outcomes from it, maybe she'll lash out, maybe she'll open up and he'll be unsure of how to react to it.

A.N.
keep in mind, kie still thinks jake has a gf because of the whole "my girl" "your girl" thing so like this is just wishful thinking on her account while also remembering jake is "taken" even though he's not actually "taken"