XXXIV. Nothing.

ON THE drive, Jake watched JJ load his gun. "We go in there, guns a-blazin', make Ward Cameron beg for mercy, abscond with as much gold as possible, and vámonos, get the hell out of there." JJ explains to them. "Send that shit down the Intracoastal." John B adds. "Wait for the weather." Kie says after.

"Exit to Cuba." Pope nods. "Cuba?" Jake says right away. "No, man, Xcalak, Jewel of the Yucatan." JJ added and Jake nods, pointing at the blond. "Lobsters so thick, mangoes, and no word for money." JJ says and Jake smiles widely, glancing over at Kiara.

"Let's do this shit."

They arrive to the private airstrip, parking near the fence before hopping out and running over to it. "What's the plan? Broad strokes." Kie asked. "I don't think we got that far." John B said as they stopped all in a line at the fence. "They're loading up the gold." Pope says, using binoculars which John B then takes from him.

"There's Ward." He says when a Range Rover pulls up near the plane. John B lowers the binoculars, making Kie look at him. "What? What?" She repeated when he doesn't say a word. "It's Sarah." He tells her. "She's with him?" Jake asked, looking at him.

Ward grabs Sarah as she shouts. "Wait a minute. He's hurting her." John B says. "What?" Kie says quietly. "What?" JJ looked over. "They're fighting." John B says as Kie grabs the binoculars and the boy runs off. "John B?" Jake looked back at John B who got into the van. "Hey. What are you doing?" Pope shouted at him. "John B. Where are you going?" Kie shouted out as they all yell.

"John B!"

The boy ignored them, driving into the private airstrip and they run to the open fence, yelling for him. "Shit." Jake says, looking at the other three to his left as John B drove up to the plane, driving alongsides of it. "He's crazy." He shook his head as John B sped up.

John B drifted the van and stopped in front of it, causing the plane to stop completely. Right before the impact, Kie turned to Jake and wrapped his arms around his neck, hiding her face. He put his arms around her waist, pulling her closer as JJ had his hands over his head and Pope was looking at Jake and Kie.

Sirens wail in the distance that made Kie pull back a bit from Jake but kept her arms around him. "Guys, I can't get arrested." Pope tells them. "I'm on probation." JJ says. "And I have a daughter." Jake glanced at the other two boys with his arm still around Kie's waist.

"Look, we're no good if we're all in jail." Kie says, taking Jake's hand off her waist and interlocking their fingers together before leading him away. They ran to hide in the nearest place which was a hangar filled with old stuff.

In there, the four waited in anticipation as Kie kept looking at Jake who had his hands over his face. Then a plane flew over which the four of them all watched together. "There goes the gold." JJ says and looked away. "Shit!" He kicked a nearby plastic yard chair.

"Fuck!" Pope's outburst shocks the three of them. "Pope!" Kie says. "Goddamn it!" He picked up a bat and hit something with it as Jake looked down. He can feel his anger and frustration. He smashed a lot of things then stopped, dropping the metal bat. "Pope." Jake says and the boy looks up at them, hyperventilating before he sat down.

"Pope." Kie says quietly after, looking at Jake who's staring at the boy with worry. "Yeah, dude. I was wondering when this was gonna happen." JJ walked towards him and Jake looks at him. "Here you go, chief." He held out his weed vape. "A little weed never hurt no one." He says and Jake honestly is tempted too but it's not like it was gonna fix anything.

"JJ." Kie says and JJ glanced back at them. "Relax, Kie." He says and Jake shrugs. "He doesn't smoke." He says but Pope proves them wrong by taking it from JJ. "Well, maybe not until today." The blond boys says before he plopped down next to the other boy.

"Pope." Jake says, his brows furrowed. "Yeah, what is that gonna help?" Kie asked and Jake sighs. "I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every-- it's gone. It's not gonna happen." Pope told them, sounding upset as he shook his head.

"You did that for us?" Kie asked and he looks up at her again. "No, not for us." He slowly stood up, facing her. "For nothing." He corrects her and Jake sighs, looking down. "I'm here for you, Pope." JJ grabs him, patting his chest. "Welcome to my world." He tells the boy.

"JJ." Jake says, looking at him. "What, Jake? He's right. It doesn't matter anymore." He says and Jake crosses his arms, looking down. "You don't have to do that." Kie says when Pope finally took a hit from the vape. "What do you care?" He asked her and it's quiet. In that moment, Jake glanced from Pope to Kie, looking around as he suddenly felt a swarm of guilt. He knows all of them had a thing for Kie, John B, JJ and Pope included. But he's never realized it because he hadn't noticed his true feelings for Kie in the first place anyway.

"Dude!" JJ exclaimed when he saw where Pope was looking and they rushed over to John B who walked in. "Is this your blood?" Jake asked worriedly, grabbing his wrist. "Whose blood is that?" Kie asked next. "Hey, you okay, man?" Pope asked but the boy appeared to be in shock, not meeting their gaze or talking. But the moment they heard cops and saw them drive by, they rushed to hide. They hide together as Jake looked over at John B, worriedly.

A.N.
this chapter feels a lil too short 🙁🙁