XVI. The ROV.

AFTER WALKING home, Jake made Evie a bottle of formula and put her in her crib. He waited until she fell asleep before he grabbed his boxers and a tank top to go take a shower. After his quick shower, he ruffled his hair with his towel before exiting the washroom.

He laid in bed, scrolling through his photos of his screenshots of his schedules. He had the day off from his two jobs so he lets out a sigh, looking up at the ceiling. Means he can go and check out the drone with his friends.

He looks over at Evie and saw her holding her bottle still despite it being empty and her being asleep. He smiles, raising his phone to take a photo of her sleeping before closing his phone to turn off the lantern on his bedside table before he laid onto his side to sleep.

The next day, he walked to meet with his friends and they were down by the dock at the Chateau. John B and Kie were down, swimming with the drone as Jake was sitting down on the edge of the dock. "What's this?" JJ asked Pope who smacks his hand. "Don't touch that!" He says and Jake glanced at the two.

"God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drones?" JJ went to stand at the railing next to Jake as John B and Kie came up to the surface. "Technically, it's not a drone. It's an ROV." Pope explains as the blond looks at him.

"Shut up. Shut up. It's too early for that right now." He looked back over at the water and Jake chuckles. "Hey, look, once we get the footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim." John B tells them. "It's such bullshit why we have to do that." JJ said and Jake looked up at him.

"Well, there's maritime salvage law. You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up." He explains and JJ looks at him. "I know. It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro." He says and Jake looks over at John B. "Well, as soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp." The boy in the water tells the blond.

"How do you know all of that?" Kie asked, smiling at John B. "Cause my dad said it, like, a million times." He tells her and Jake raised his brows as Kie swims over to the ladder. "Yeah, that's fair." The girl says as Pope pointed. "This tether is, like, really long." He said and Jake honestly doesn't even listen to them at that point as he looked at Kie next to him.

The thunder rumbles in the distance from a storm as Kie looks behind her. "At slack tide?" She asked and looked up at Pope. "So now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather. And today is not that day." Pope says at the sight of the storm as Jake looked away, clearing his throat quietly at the realization at the fact that he was literally staring at Kiara.

Pope went to go do some errands for his dad with JJ's help as Jake decided to go check on his Evie. "Hey, need a ride?" Kie asked as she walked out of the Chateau, her hair still damp from swimming earlier. "Uh, sure..." He said and walked with her to her car.

John B was sitting outside at the surf shack as the two drove off and Jake played with the phone case of his phone, glancing at Kie who's focused on driving. He looked out the window and Kie glanced over at him this time, glancing down at him then looked back to the road quickly. "We're going surfing later, right?" Jake asked suddenly as he looked over at the girl.

"Yeah. Later on tonight... Why? Will you need a ride again?" She asked him, glancing at him and he just simply nods. "Yeah... I'd really appreciate that." He says, staring at her for a moment before looking away. She glanced away right away, "okay." She says before she arrived to his house, slowing down.

"I don't think I've ever seen the inside of your house. Only the other's." She says, chuckling before looking away from his house. "Oh, yeah... One day I'll have you guys over, promise." He says, pointing at her and she chuckles. "Okay... Later?" She held out his hand and he does the handshake they always do absentmindedly. He smiles as he got out, slinging his backpack onto his shoulder.

Just as they'd planned, Kie picked up Jake who ran a hand through his hair and waved at the girl as he jogs to her car before hopping in. "Hey." Kiara smiled at the bot who looks at her. "Hey." He greeted her right back.

Once back at the Chateau, John B, Kie and Jake went running to the beach and into the water. As Jake was a little further from them, surfing some waves, Kie looks away from him to look at John B. "Hey, do you remember... when you kissed me?" She asked the boy.

"Yeah. Yeah, I remember."

"Did you tell Jake?"

She glanced at the other boy who wiped out, falling into the water. "Um... I had to. I mean, Pogues don't lie to Pogues, right?" He says and Kie glanced away. "And plus, he and JJ laughed at me because you shot me down, so..." He looks away and she scoffs. "I didn't shoot you down. I mean, it was really bad timing. You were freaking out, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, no, I-I was freaking out. I was freaking out." He says and she looks over at Jake again, before looking down. It's quiet between them as Jake looked over, pushing his hair out of his face. "Why do you ask?" John B asked the girl who shrugs, looking down. "Just wondering. It's not..." She looks up, smiling before looking to the side.

He nods softly as he smiles back. "Hey! Save some waves for us!" JJ shouted as he and Pope came running into the water. "Hey, where you been?" Kie greeted them before they all enjoyed their fun surfing together.

Surfing was always the one thing they all had in common, granted Jake actually wasn't that too into it but had the thought of learning so when they all became friends, the other four teenagers swore to teach him how.

AUTHORS NOTE
i HAD to change it to kie asking if john b told jake about their kiss 😭 the small pining will be there, sometimes maybe a little too obvious but they'll be so oblivious to it