XXVIII. It's A Diary.

HIS GRANDMA had work so she asked if it was okay if his mother watched Evie, but he was gonna be late so he sort of rushed out an okay and realized now on the car ride to school that he'll have to go home. "You should talk to her... your mom, I mean." Kie said as he's driving, they took Lillian's car because he asked and she insisted that it was okay.

"What is there to talk about?" He asked and she shrugged, staring straight ahead as she realized she doesn't even know either. "Just... anything. Jake, don't stay mad at her." She said quietly and he nods softly. "I know." He mumbled, realizing the reason why he was told anyway was because anything can happen, they all know this now because of what happened to Ward and all. "Just know I'm here for you." She said as they arrive to school.

He looked over at her, nodding as he smiles softly at her, seeing that look in her eyes. God, I love her. His smile fades away when he thinks this. Did I just say I love her? She smiled back now and leaned over, pressing a kiss to his lips, the way she leans back and stared up into his eyes confirms it. He's head over heels for her. He raised a hand and leaned back in, pressing a deeper kiss to her lips.

Just then, the familiar vehicle pulled up next to them so they pulled apart and looked over to see Pope getting out. He waved at the two, smiling, so they waved back and watch as Pope went around to the other side. "Surprised he even got them up." Kie quips, meaning the boys were so wasted just the other night. "Not surprised. It's Pope." Jake says as they also get out of the vehicle they were in.

In class, John B was doodling when their teacher walked up. "Glad you could join us, Mr. Routledge." The woman says and he smiles at her. "It's good to be back." He said and she set down a paper. "Just in time for your first quiz." She says and John B stared at then paper, bewildered then looked at Pope who's seated in front of Jake. "A test?" He whispers. "I told you we had a test this morning." The Heyward boy whispers back to him.

"No, you didn't--" "yes, I did, the first thing I said to you--" The teacher clears her throat loudly, making the boys stop bickering and begin their test. At the end of the day, John B is showing the three a note a girl passed to him. "Bonfire? Well, I think she meant to give it to me, so we're all good there. We're definitely going." JJ says, still looking at the note.

"Oh, Mr. Heyward, Mr. Routledge, Mr. Lennox, Mr. Maybank, just the men I wanted to see." Mr. Sunn says now, standing at the door they were planning to be passing by, sending the boys back inside the school. "Wish I could say the same." JJ says as the man sends him in after Jake. "I have a question of an historical nature for you gentlemen." He said.

"I digitize documents for the Maritime Museum, and in return, I've been given access to the archives. And I found... this." The man had unlocked the storage and turned to them, smiling as he grabs a box off a shelf. "A box." John B says, sounding unimpressed as the man walked over, looking at him. "More than a box." He tells the Routledge boy.

"That's a good start."

He set down the box and opened it up, looking up at Pope. "Go ahead, Mr. Heyward." He tells him and Pope grabs the plastic bag. "Uh... careful with that." Their teacher tells him as Pope opened it up and took out the leather ntoebook inside. "Woah." Pope whispers, untying the knot on top.

"It's a diary. The author's unknown." The older man tells him and Pope opened the first page to see the wheat symbol. "Woah." John B says as the three standing on either sides of him stare at the book in his hands. "And this is a sample of a Denmark Tanny letter." Mr. Sunn says, walking over and set down the paper.

"Compare the handwriting." He tells Pope as he backs away. "No way." John B says when Jake picked up the paper and held it up. "It's nearly identical." Their teacher tells them. "This is Denmark Tanny's diary." Pope says as he flips to the next page now. "Guys, this is Captain Limbrey." He says as he pointed at the drawing as he backed away and sat down onto one of the desks behind him.