XXXIX. Station 26.

AT THE dock they said they'd meet up at, JJ and Pope got the boat ready as Jake just stood at the end of the pier, with his arms crossed and staring into the distance. "Dude, where is he?" Kie asked the boys, turning to them. "Give him a second. He'll be here." Pope says.

"He's coming. He'll be fine." Jake turned around, looking at her just when a cop car arrived. "Guys?" Kie turns to Jake. "Hey, yeah, get back on the boat. Untie it." JJ says as Kie looks at the boat. "Shit." She says but Jake looks at the car, furrowing his brows together.

"Wait." He says when John B got out of the car, slinging his backpack onto his shoulder. "No way." JJ says. "No f'ing way." Pope says in disbelief as Kie looks at Jake. "I'm sorry. Uhh..." She laughs and John B looks at them. "Shoupe let me take it for a spin." He says. "Okay, that's believable." Kie grinned widely.

"We'll buy that for now." Jake nods as he and Kie approached John B, hugging him in a tiny group hug. "It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you." JJ says when the three pull apart and Jake pats John B's back. "And she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ adds before tossing the keys over to the boy.

"Where's Sarah?" He asked, staring at the boat. "She's not with you?" Kie asked, confused. "No, no, we got separated in the swamp. She said she was gonna meet me here." He looks at them, sounding worried. "No, no, we haven't seen her." Pope informs him. "Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her." He tells them.

"John B, look at me." JJ walks over. "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get across that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?" JJ asked the boy who got distracted.

He's looking off in the distanct, clearly thinking of Sarah. "Brownsville. You-- hey! You got that?" JJ made him turn his head to him. "Yeah, yeah. Brownsville." He looks away, sniffling as thunder from the storm rumbles in the far distance. "Alright. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this." The blond says.

"Yeah." John B got into the boat and Jake, JJ and Pope were about to push it. "Hey, hey." The boy stops them, turning to them. He has tears in his eyes, looking at them. "I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing." He says to them. "Hey, John B, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ says, glancing at Jake and Kie to his right then at Pope to his left before all of them laugh quietly.

"Yeah." John B smiles. "At least we did it together, though." JJ pulls Pope closer to him with his arms around the boy's neck and Jake steps closer, putting his arm around JJ's waist and Kie's neck as the girl stepped closer, looking at him as her hand rested onto his back. John B glanced between Jake and Kie, smiling before looking at the other two.

"Pogue style." JJ says and Jake nods, smiling widely. "Pogue style." John B says quietly. "Get out of here! Please." Kie says, but in the way she was worried for him to get caught. "Now. We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico." Pope said as he pointed. "Love you."

"Be safe." Jake says last in a teasing tone as John B flips him off and he chuckles as he knows the Routledge boy means it in a sort of affection way. "Hey, wait-- wait a second." John B turns to them suddenly, "tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay?" He tells the four.

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?" JJ reminds him as they then salute the boy as a goodbye before the four of them then push his boat put into the water together. They stand together on the dock, watching John B drive off. Jake watched, sighing as he felt like it could be the last time they see him but he remains hopeful they will again.

After a while, JJ and Pope walked away, towards the car but Jake stood there, sighing before he turned around. "Hey." Kie says, smiling faintly and Jake smiles back. "Hey..." He stared at her and she stared back before grabbing his face, stepping closer. He's frozen for a moment as she suddenly kissed him.

He's taken back as she suddenly pulls back, "I'm so sorry," she brings her hand up to her face to cover her mouth but he pulls it away, leaning in to kiss her again. Their kiss deepens as his hand held her waist and her hands go up to both of his shoulders, stepping closer.

Jake reached up to her face, holding it gently in his hands before pulling away. He stared into her eyes and she just chuckles softly, smiling back. The sirens wailing in the distance ruin the moment as he pulls back completely, looking over to see cop cars coming.

"Guys, I'm sorry to ruin the mood, but, uh, we gotta go right now." JJ tells them and Jake grabs Kie's hand, walking over to the other two, but it's too late as the cars all parked around, the cops rushing out of the vehicles. Kie immediately raised her hands, letting go of Jake's. "Pope. Pope, hands." Kie says worriedly as Jake and JJ raised their hands as well.

"Move. Hands up! Hands up!"

"We're too late. He's gone, goddamn it!" Shoupe exclaimed as the teens all now had their hands raised up in the air. "Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids. Alright, where the hell is he?" He asked the four. "Where the hell is he?" He repeated.

"JJ? I see you're livin' up to your name. Jake, your mom will be disappointed." Shoupe says and Jake sighs, looking down. "Pope, how about you? This isn't a fucking game!" He raised his voice at the boy. "You can do the right thing now! Where'd he go?" He asked. "Suspect has just left Station 26 in a small boat. Need marine patrol to respond."

A.N.
the way sarah and john b are soulmates. idc what anyone says, they're the best ship on obx (canon anyways) first best ship is jjpope