I Hate Motels

We drove in silence for a while before we ended up stopping at a dingy looking motel making me crinkle my nose in disgust. As we all stepped out of the bus with our bags.

"I've seen worse." Scott said hesitantly.

"Where have you seen worse?" Stiles asked.

"Listen up! The meet's been pushed 'til tomorrow. This is the closest motel with the most vacancies and the least amount of good judgement when it comes to accepting a bunch of degenerates like yourselves! You'll be pairing up-- choose wisely. And I'll have no sexual perversions perpetrated by you little deviants! Got that? Keep your dirty little hands to your dirty little selves!"

Rory and Taylor both grabbed a room key we could split between the four of us.

"I'm with Taylor," Destiny was quick to call dibs making Rory laugh.

"It's because Bella talks in her sleep, isn't it?"

"I do not!"

"You definitely do." Taylor told me.

"Lydia...?" I heard Allison say making me turn to look back at them.

"I don't like this place." She spoke softly her eyes darting around the rooms.

"I don't think the people who own this place like this place. It's just for a night." Allison said with a small shrug.

"A lot can happen in one night..." She said.

I walked over to Allison getting a good look at their room number. "Lyd's we're all right near each other in the rooms. It'll be alright."

We all headed up to our separate rooms, I saw Rory grimace as we walked in.

"It could be worse. Could be a whole lot worse," I muttered setting my bag down on top of the dresser.

I collapsed onto one of the beds, the springs groaning at the action. It was comfortable enough that I could easily sleep through the night.

"You could sleep anywhere," Rory said as though she could hear exactly what I was thinking.

"You're not wrong," I was quick to shoot back at her.

I had only started to doze off when my phone buzzed, I thought about ignoring it, but it buzzed twice more. I sat up looking at Rory who just shrugged at me, not knowing what it was about.

You and Rory get to mine and Allison's room now.

Grab Destiny and Taylor on your way.

Hurry.

I shrugged flashing the text to Rory who grabbed our room key and we headed out of the room.

"One hundred and ninety-eight?" Rory asked after Lydia told us what the lady at the desk had said.

"Yes, and we're talking forty years. On average, that's... four-point-nine-five a year, which is... actually expected. But who commemorates that with a framed number? Who does that? Who?" She asked sitting on the bed.

"All suicides?" Allison asked.

"Yes-- hanging, throat-cutting, pill-popping, both-barrels-of-a-shotgun-in-the-mouth suicides. I don't know about you guys. But me, I-" Lydia trailed off, her eyes darting back and forth before she asked. "Did you guys hear that?"

"Hear what?" I asked looking at her confused.

She stood up turning towards the vent up on the wall. Before she stepped up onto the bed and began walking closer to it.

"Lydia?" Destiny asked walking towards her a moment as I began straining my ears to hear what she was hearing.

I heard two loud simultaneous bangs that sounded like gun shots, making me clap my hands over my ears and drop to my knees.