you get into an accident on your way home (requested)

"Please pick up, baby," Liz quietly spoke as she continued to stare out the window as she kept her phone against her ear, desperately trying to get ahold of you.

She's getting scared.

You texted her about forty-five minutes ago saying that you were on your way home from work.

The drive only takes you about fifteen minutes and you're never this late.

Until now, she's tried to keep herself calm. But she's worried and she can't help it.

"Baby? I'm starting to worry. Are you okay? You're late and I'm getting scared. Can you please let me know if you're almost home and if you're okay? I love you."

She left the voicemail before she ended the call and dropped her phone on the sofa beside her, continuing to look out the window.

She couldn't explain why but she had a terrible feeling.

She keeps trying to push the negative thoughts out of her brain and tries to tell herself that maybe you stopped off somewhere on your way and you either left your phone in the car or on silent. Or, maybe, you're stuck in traffic and you can't har your phone.

But the longer she waits as time passes by with no answer from you and no sign of your car pulling into the driveway, the more she panics.

She was sitting with her head in her hands while she bounces her knee and watches the time drag on.

Suddenly, her phone rang from beside her and she reached for it.

She didn't even check who was calling. She just figured it was you. She was hopeful and anticipated hearing your voice in response on the other line.

"Oh, thank gosh you called me, baby. I was getting so worried!"

But the voice she heard in response was not yours.

"Hello? Is this Liz?"

"Yeah." She responded as her heart sank in her chest. "Who is this?"

"I work at the hospital your girlfriend was just brought into. She was in an accident and has some injuries and you're her emergency contact."

Her eyes filled with tears and she jumped up from the sofa to grab her shoes.

She slid them onto her feet before grabbing her keys and her wallet and rushing out to her car.

"What kind of injuries? Are they severe? She's going to be okay, right?"

"I can't answer that. I'm sorry."

Liz slammed the car door and started the engine.

"I'm on my way."

She ended the call before rushing off to the hospital as quickly as she could.

She arrived only a few short minutes later and after putting the car into park, she got out and rushed through the sliding doors.

She walked to the front desk, frantic and trying to find the words to say through the panic she felt.

"You called about my girlfriend? Where is she? Is she okay?"

The nurse behind the desk nodded to the chairs in the waiting room.

"Please sit and wait there for me. The doctor will be out in a few minutes to inform you about whatever is going on."

Liz scoffed and prepared to slam her hands on the table. She wasn't trying to be rude but she was freaking out and wanted answers now, not in twenty minutes.

But before anything fell from her lips, the door to the back opened and someone was calling for her.

She noticed it was an emergency room doctor and he was walking to her.

"You're Liz? Here for y/n?"

She nodded her head quickly.

"Okay. Well, she's stable. She will be okay given some time but she needs to rest for a while."

"What happened?"

"Someone ran the red light and hit your girlfriend's car. It flipped and she was hurt very badly. But everything will be fine with her, she just needs time to recover."

Liz nodded, so relieved she almost felt like hugging the doctor.

But then, he asked if she wanted to you, and she instantly nodded.

"Okay. Just be warned - she's not awake at the moment. She's getting some rest. She's on some pain medicine and it's a high dose, so she's out. But she's got a couple of broken ribs, some whiplash, and her leg was broken. Her shoulder was dislocated as well but we fixed that."

"Thank you for taking care of her."

"You're welcome." He smiled as they reached your door a moment later.

He opened it and let Liz walk in. He followed her in and checked on you before walking out, letting her have some privacy.

"Oh, I'm so happy that you're going to be okay." She said as she sat on the chair and took your hand into hers.

As soon as she touched your soft skin, she burst into tears.

"I was so scared." She sniffled. "But you're okay. That's all that matters."

She kissed your hand and listened to you breathe.

"You have no reason to worry about what might come next as far as recovering goes because I'm going to be by your side through every step of it. No matter what happens, I'll be here to hold your hand through it all. I promise you."

You let out a soft sound and Liz watched as you shifted just a tiny bit, making her smile.

"I'm right here, baby. Whenever you open your eyes, I'm going to be right here. I'm not leaving your side. I promise."

She let go of all of her worries and fears. You were in good hands and you're going to be just fine, given some time to rest and recover.

And that's all that she cares about.