ɪ. ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴀʟ

JESS MARIANO wanted to be anywhere but getting off the Stars Hollow bus.

He reluctantly traipsed down the steps and glanced up to see his uncle, Luke, with his arms crossed over his chest and a stern look on his face.
"Jess." he greeted.
"Luke."
"Okay, so, uh.." Luke shifted awkwardly, before walking towards a place that had the sign 'Luke's' above it. They walked in and Jess took in the sights of the diminutive and cosy diner.

"Well, this is my diner." Luke muttered.
"Huh." Jess responded, running his hand across the smooth surface of the front counter.
"Belonged to your Grandpa."
"Huh." Jess repeated once again, following his uncle up the stairs.

"Well, here we are. It's pretty simple. You know, this is the room. That's my bed, that's your, uh, bed for now, but the sheets are new. There's the bathroom, there's the closet, there's the dresser, the phone, and over there is the kitchen. I've got Frosted Flakes." Luke told, watching Jess carefully as he roamed around the tiny apartment.
"Wow, that's great." Jess drawled grabbing his luggage, that was being carried in black trash bags.
"So is that all your stuff?" Luke asked Jess, who replied,
"Yep."
"Not much there."
"Well, Lizzie's sending the rest later." Jess referred to his mother up in New York who had sent him here in the first place. For this he hated her. He hated this town. He hated everything about it.
"So, you need some help?" Luke offered, trying to grasp his bags in his hand but Jess snatched them back.
"Nope."
"Okay, uh, I have to get back to the diner. I'm gonna close up at ten tonight, so I thought-"
Luke was cut off by his nephew.
"Okay. See you at ten." Jess was trying to avoid a full conversation as much as possible.
"But you need keys?"
"No I don't." Jess mumbled, strolling to door and shutting it behind him.

SAGE ROBERTSON ambled over to get her lunch for that day at Luke's diner.

The cool autumn breeze hit her as she wrapped her scarf tighter round her neck. She opened the door and the scent of Luke's food infiltrated her system. She was pushed to the side as a figure in a dark blue body warmer barged past her. He turned around and glared at her before trudging off.
"Nice." she scoffed as she watched the boy light a cigarette in his hand.

"Hey Sage, usual Thursday lunch?" Luke poured the strong, delicious coffee into her cup.
"Yes please." she grinned affectionately at the man who had been more of a father to her than her dad ever had been. "Hey, I met a guy when I came in. He was so kind." she asked.
"That's Jess, my nephew." Luke sighed passing her her burger with cheese fries and salad from Caesar.
"You have a nephew?" she inquired, wide eyed.
"Yeah, he's Liz's."
"Wow. I never imagined that whack job to have a kid." Luke paused, then resumed wiping his counter.
"Oh, Luke, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that to sound-"
"Don't worry." he began, smiling warmly, "She is a whack job. Probably why she sent the kid to me." She laughed slightly.
"Hey," Luke's face lit up like a brilliant idea has come to mind. Sage gestured for him to go on, "You're seventeen. Got all the hormones and stuff."
"Yeah.." Sage anticipated his outcome.
"You could take Jess around town and help meet everyone, show him the stores, ah, it would be perfect!" Sage frowned and narrowed her green eyes at Luke.
"Oh yeah, that's a great idea, no!" Luke blinked twice.
"Why?"
"Because Luke, my first impression wasn't all that good. And I don't even know this kid, I'm sure he wouldn't want to know me." Sage defended, taking a sip of her coffee and another bite of her burger.
"Sage.."
"Nope." she decided, continuing to eat. Looking up, she noticed Luke's sad eyes.
"Fine! I'll do it! On one condition."
"Yes?"
"Free food. Everyday for a month." Sage smirked mischievously. Luke hesitated rubbing his jaw.
"Okay."
"Great. I can't wait." she scornfully murmured.

" she scornfully murmured