10 - Leilah

"What's this gala for?" I ask.

Elijah looks forward as he replies, driving with one hand on the wheel. "It's a business gala. I host them."

"All of them?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah. Since I'm the owner of the business now, it's my duty to."

"You must take that pretty serious."

"I have to."

This is the most we've talked without ever screaming at each other or pulling guns out. Cayson is driving behind us with his plus one and I think Elijah mentioned something about meeting some of his friends here. When we arrive to the huge mansion-like building, Elijah gets out and rounds the car to come and open my door.

"Why, thank you." I say jokingly as I step out of the car. When we step out of the car, Elijah fixes his tie and holds his hand out, signaling for me to walk ahead. I feel a breeze go by my ankles and I realize he's holding up the back of my dress as I begin to walk. "You're being a gentleman tonight."

"Yeah, well it's just for show. You're gonna meet some business partners and possibly engage in some business arrangements. You'll be playing the role as my wife."

"Wife? What the hell are you talking about?" I say, stopping in my tracks and turning to face him.

His jaw tightens and he sighs, a look of anger plastered on his face. "You remember what I told you the other night? That still hasn't changed. My patience is always wearing thin and I don't have the time nor patience to try and explain anything to you. Just keep that ring on your finger, and we'll be fine."

He sounds like he's irritated out of his mind right now. But me being me, I said something back. "Well you don't have to get all snappy and aggressive with me, it was just a fucking question."

"Let's not do this right now, I'm already pissed off. Give me a fucking break." he says.

"All I'm saying is you could be a little nicer," I suggest, giving an annoyed shrug. He tightens his jaw again and balls his fists up with my dress in his hands. "My dress, Elijah!" I complain, agitated at his carelessness.

"Will you just fucking walk?" he complains. I roll my eyes and I walk into the building, Elijah walking behind me. When we walk in, he puts my dress down and fixes it, then looks over my head and into a mirror to fix his tie. As he fixes it, he speaks. "When we walk in, they'll take pictures. Cameras are going to be everywhere. Don't acknowledge them and stay next to me at all times, I don't care what you want to do. You only speak when it's your time to, and never talk over me. You can read cues, right?" he says.

Then without hesitancy, he wraps his arm around mine and begins to walk. As we walk past the huge doors, cameras begin to flash and I keep my head forward, ignoring the flickers and loud words of photographers asking me to look their way.

"Back straight." Elijah mumbles to me.

I immediately straighten my back out and I walk with my head high, as does Elijah. People are commenting on my beauty and dress along with comments on how powerful and stunning I look walking through the photographers and into the party. When we get through, Elijah immediately grabs a drink that smells like it's got heavy, hard liquor in it. It's a huge cup and Elijah gulps most of it down as soon as he grabs it. He grunts from the drink and puts his hand on my hip and a bit of a lighter expression is splayed across his face as he looks ahead.

"Mark Narlough. It's good to see you." he says, nodding to this man and shaking his hand firmly.

"Moreno. A pleasure as always." the man says. This huge man, probably 6' 7" with brown hair and blue eyes is standing in front of us with a gorgeous smile on his face. His skin is tanned just a little and he has a tattoo by his ear that's almost invisible under his wavy hair that goes a little past his ear. "And you." he says, turning to me. "You are stunning." he says, grabbing my hand to kiss it.

God. His lips are so soft. His touch is warm and inviting, yet dominant, making me smile at his contact. He kisses my hand slowly and looks me in the eyes as he does it, smirking before he rises and smiles, sipping his drink. This seems bad, but I think my knees are going weak. He's hot, sweet, and passionate, I would say. I look over to Elijah and he's gulping down more of his drink and he looks pissed.

"Meet my wife, Leilah." he says.

Oh fuck, oh fuck.

"So, you and my... husband are close, huh?" I say, rubbing his arm and smiling my best smile. I feel like vomiting at the word 'husband'.

I can feel Elijah tense and relax as the guy in front of us looks between the two of us with an amused grin. "Husband?" Mark says questioningly.

"Yeah, me and Eli's marriage was really recent. We wanted to simmer in it for a bit before we made it known." I say, trying to make it convincing.

"No wonder I wasn't invited." Mark says, nodding. "I get it. Can't trust everyone." We talk for a while longer until he finally says "I'll catch you later, Moreno. Congrats. She's something." he says, winking at me.

I smile at him and he turns away. Elijah immediately sighs and breathes, me doing the same as I let go of him and fan myself, gagging at what I've said.

"It wasn't that serious." he says, rolling his eyes.

"It was that serious. I don't think I'd ever enjoy the idea of marrying you."

"The feeling's mutual, baby." he says, amused.

I gag a little harder.

"Don't ever." I say, almost laughing as he laughs at me. That must be the drinks kicking in.

"Don't call me Eli again," he says.

"Well, Eli, don't call me your wife again. I don't think my stomach will withstand it much longer the next time."

"Hm." he chuckles lightly. "You love me." he says sarcastically.

"I don't. I really don't." I say, chuckling softly.

We give each other a lingering look and we finally join arms and continue socializing with everyone and fueling the feel of the room.