37 - Leilah

We went to pick up the baby in between leaving the wedding from Hell and coming home. Elijah rounds the car and opens my door before reaching his arms out to pick me up, my shoes in his hand.

"I'm okay," I say, looking up at him. He hesitates, and then nods his head as I step out of the car. "Do you want me to get the baby?" I ask.

"I've got him," he says, going to the door behind the passenger seat and opening it to grab Maverick's car seat.

We walk into the house and Elijah closes the door behind us, dropping his keys in the bowl on the table to the right of the lobby. He still hasn't spoken a word besides the three he said at the car. He must be processing this still. I mean, I get it. He just found out that practically his whole life was a lie. That's hard to deal with and I'm in no place to complain about how he's acting. All I can do is be there for him.

"Do you want to eat anything?" I ask unsurely.

"Yeah. I think I can stomach something," he replies, giving me his full attention.

I look at the blood splattered across his face and neck, and I try my best to ignore it as I smile warmly and nod my head.

"Okay," I say. "Let me feed the baby and pump first and then I'll make dinner. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah. Yeah, that's fine. But can you shower with me after?" he says blankly as I grab the baby from his car seat, kissing his head softly.

"Of course. Yeah, I will."

"Okay."

He leans in to kiss me, but then stops himself before he can get too close. He backs off and gives me a lingering look before turning around and going upstairs.

"I'll be in my office," he says, just before reaching the second floor.

"Okay," I say, even though he couldn't possibly hear me say it.

I head upstairs to the baby's nursery and that's where I feed him and pump as much as I can. He eventually falls asleep soon after he's done eating. Karla said he's been up for about three hours, so it was due time. When I'm done, I walk down the hall of the second floor and I knock on Elijah's office door. I walk in and he quickly turns his back to me. I look down at the papers on his desk and they're wet. Most likely with tears.

"Eli," I say quietly, walking up to him slowly. "Let me see you," I say. He doesn't say anything to me. I walk up to him and I grab his arm softly. "Elijah. It's okay," I say, trying to make him comfortable. He turns around and tears immediately start to flow from his eyes and down his face as he stretches his arms out for me. I look up at him on the verge of tears as I place my hands on the back of his neck, hugging him and shushing him. "It's alright. You're okay, I promise."

"It doesn't make sense," he says, between sharp breathes and cries. "Why would she do this? She's lied to me my whole life. Her and Luis. My mother would've been here if it weren't for her and my dad. And how could he betray his own wife like that?" he asks, hugging me tight and crying still.

"I know. I know you have a lot of questions, and sometimes those questions are better left unanswered. I can't imagine what you must be going through, but all I can do is be here for you. Let's go shower and let me cook dinner for you, okay? You should eat something and wash off, alright?"

"I just want to hold you. Please, just for now."

"Okay. You can. You can, I promise," I say, rubbing his head and pulling away to look at him. "Come on."

He grabs my hand and I bring him to the room. We walk into the bathroom and I turn on the shower, then I help him undress as he just stands there. When we're both undressed, I guide him into the shower and I put him underneath the water to wash all the blood from his face and neck. I pass him the soap and he uses it before I can. He washes his body and scrubs his face and neck to make sure he gets all the blood off of him. I catch something in the corner of my eye, and I focus in on his hair. I pull out what seems to be... a piece of brain and I look away in disgust as the water washes it off my fingers. I wet his hair and I wash it for him as he finishes washing himself. After I'm done with him, I wash myself and in a few more minutes, we're done.