31 - Leilah

For the past four weeks since Luis and Rosa have been here, Elijah's been acting weird towards Luis. He says that Luis is very flirtatious and takes it too far, so he's been seriously cautious with me being around him. Since I could have the baby at any time now, he's been strict on staying with me at all times. My contractions have been getting worse which is a sign that I could be going into labor soon which is all the more reason for Elijah to stick to me like super glue. And if not Elijah, it's Cayson. Every time Elijah has to leave, even for a few minutes, Cayson's on the way. And every time, Elijah always tells him to keep a sharp eye out for Luis.

On the bright side though, Elijah's finally finished the nursery. I've been pushing him around trying to make it look perfect, but he's learned to be very patient with me. I've been overwhelmingly nesting for weeks now, so he understands. He put up the crib on the right side of the room and painted his room a soft grey color. We put in two one cushioned couches to sit in if we ever have to sit there with the baby and they sit in front of a window with grey see-through curtains to let some light in. We put a changing table in on the left side of the room that holds a few diapers, packs of baby wipes, and baby clothes for the baby.

I don't know for sure if I'll have the baby on formula as an infant, so I haven't bought any. Anyway, I've decided to breastfeed him. I've researched on it and it can create a strong bond between me and the baby, so I think that's what I'll do.

Sitting on the couch with Elijah, a contraction hits. It feels horrible, almost as if someone's stabbing me repeatedly in my stomach, making me shut my eyes tightly in pain. I breathe in and out as Elijah places his hand on my stomach to try and soothe the pain, and I place my hand on his, still trying to breathe. The pain subsides and I throw my head back in relief. Elijah looks at me, his eyes laced with worry.

Lately, I've had really painful contractions, and the midwife says to give her a call as soon as they get bad because it could be a sign of active labor, but I think I'll be fine. I don't want to take any risks with the baby, especially having come this far, but I don't think they're that bad that I have to call her yet.

"Are you sure we don't need to call Maria? That one seemed bad, Leilah," Elijah says.

"I'm sure, babe. I feel fine," I say, giving him a reassuring smile. He still looks doubtful. "I'm fine," I repeat, making him nod and rub my stomach.

The baby kicks at Elijah's hand and he looks down at my belly with a smile as he plays with the baby, making him follow his hand and poke at him. He's interrupted by his phone ringing. He picks it up and apparently it's Cayson. His face turns serious as he talks to him, and when he hangs up, he fills me in.

"Cayson's got info on Mike Mozaeas, Ramon Mozaeas's dad. We've got an address, but we're not gonna make a move just yet. We need a few nights to find a window when the tension's not so high. We can't give anything away, especially with these families on high alert like this," he explains. A worried expression clouds over my face, and Elijah immediately notices.

"The baby can come any day now, Elijah. I can't afford you getting hurt or worse."

"I know, but we can't wait too long to take action, Leilah. You don't ever have to worry about me," he says.

With a sigh, I reply. "I know," I say. "I just... I'm really nervous," I admit.

"About what?"

"Giving birth. Having this baby. I mean, what if I'm not good at it? I mean, I've never had a mother either. She left when I was a few months old and my dad was never there. He was and alcoholic. Then my little sister moved out and I... I had to stay and take care of my dad. That's not the point. I'm just terrified."