12 - Elijah

The whole time we sat in that kitchen, the tension was heavy. The moment her lips grazed mine, I knew I had to have her in some way. Any way. I get a phone call as I eat, so I pick it up and it's Reiner.

"Reiner," I say.

"Moreno. We have business to handle," he says back.

"What's up?"

"Something went off at the warehouse last night."

My eyes widen as I take off to the lobby. "Are you sure? I would've gotten something from someone."

"Yeah. I'm sure."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I whisper violently. "Why am I just now finding out?!"

"I just got word from Paxton."

"Fuck. I'm on my way." I grab my keys from the bowl on the table in the lobby and I rush out to my car, pushing the start button and driving off. When I get to headquarters, Reiner stands outside, waiting on me. As I get out of the car and walk up to the hood of the car, he meets me there and starts to talk.

"You ready?" he asks, holding a gun out to me.

"Let's go." I say, cocking my gun and rounding the car to get back in. I pull off and me and Reiner talk and catch up on the way to the warehouse.

"So. What have you been up to, Big Bad?" he teases.

"The usual. Work's never done," I reply with a sigh.

"Always. How's the hunt going?"

"It's not a hunt. But I found someone. Her name's Leilah," I say.

"And how do you feel about this 'Leilah'?"

"If I'm being honest, I don't know. She fucks me up. One second I'm yelling and screaming at her, then it turns into sexual tension. Well, that's what it was this morning."

"Hm. What's Cayson got to say about it?"

"He wants me to treat her better. He says that her and the baby are going to end up hating me if I don't, and I can't afford that. Me hating my father did nothing for me but turn me into more of an asshole. I've got all this built up aggression and when I feel like I'm being threatened or talked down to, it just comes out."

"You said 'talked down to'. What do you mean?"

"I mean my kid's going to come out with one hell of an attitude. Leilah's not shy. She's one of the fearless ones. I'm not complaining though. It gives me a challenge," I say with a smirk.

"I like that. I wanna meet this girl. You hit yet?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"No. She's too stubborn."

"What, so you've tried her?"

"Mm-mh. I'm a little intimidated," I admit.

"You? Intimidated? Oh, she's really something then, huh."

"She is. I told myself I'd stick to my old ways, but I can't even get hard anymore. You remember Mae and Kasey?"

"Yeah."

"Not even for them."

"Wow. She really has fucked you up. What're you gonna do?"

"Wait it out. Try to treat her better cause I want to, I just don't know how to."

"You'll figure it out."

I don't say anything back. After a couple more minutes, we pull into the gate of the warehouse and we get out. We walk in and immediately, someone runs to my side.

"Good morning, Sir." she says, taking three steps after every one I take.

"What happened here last night?" I demand, looking around. We come across a shelf of drugs. They're spilled everywhere. Ammo is scattered on the floor, and there's a dead body sitting next to it. "Reiner. Check that body." I say. He crouches next to the body and flips over his I.D. "Fuck. Oliver..." I sigh deeply. Oliver was a good man. I've never had a problem with him and he was always focused on his job at hand. You could say we were friends. "Cover him up. Get him out of here and start making some arrangements." I say, fixing my tux.

"We collected a blood sample and got it identified in an hour. Samuel Alvarez. Head of the Scorpions," the woman next to me explains.

I look over at Reiner who is now standing by my side. "We leave at nightfall," I say. I walk back to my car and Reiner gets in as I start the car. I drive Reiner to his place and we hang for a while, then I go back home. When I'm back, I walk in and it's nearly 6 p.m. "Where's Leilah?" I ask Cayson, whose standing in the kitchen.

"Asleep. Why?"

I look around cautiously and I lean in to him. "Sam Alvarez invaded the warehouse, stole some drugs, and killed one of my men. I'm taking a flight tonight to hunt him down in his area and it'll take me a while. You know how it goes." I whisper.

"How long do you think you'll be gone?"

"A few weeks, maybe?"

"Okay. Yeah, okay. Just be safe out there."

"Always. And uh.... just... just take care of her. Y'know, 'cause of the baby."

"Uh huh," he says with a smirk.

"I'm serious, Cays," I say, with a serious look.

"Alright, alright," he says laughing. "I'll watch over her."

I nod my head. "Good. I'm gonna go pack. I'll meet you back here in an hour." I say.

I turn around and I start upstairs. I know, I'm going soft. But baby steps, right? Plus, she's not that bad. Really. I mean yeah, she can catch an attitude, she's kinda rude sometimes, and she may be VERY opinionated, but I kinda like that about her. I know she'll correct me on my bullshit, and I need that kind of stability in my life. Now, I'm not saying that all that anger is gonna fly out the window, but I'll try to control it. For her. Now I'm starting to recall the first time I met her.

She was actually beautiful. Her brown brunette hair like silk, sitting on her shoulders as she moved so light on her feet. Her gorgeous, golden, velvet-like skin had no imperfections, just smooth, warm, and soft looking, and she looked like she'd melt right through my fingers. I wanted her. And I'm going to have her. I'm Elijah Moreno. I always get what I want.

I know she won't come easy. But in the end she'll be mine. I can promise that.