16 - Leilah

"We're gonna start on your checkup now." Doctor Rimenez says.

He checks my heart, my breasts, my lungs my abdomen, and measures my blood pressure, along with doing a pelvic exam, and more to make sure everything is good. We talk during the process to not make everything awkward. He pulls out a little cup and asks for a urine sample and luckily I had to use the bathroom, so I gave him one and he ran a pregnancy test that came back positive, just to confirm it. After that he runs another couple of tests, checking for STDs and things as such. After a series of tests and questions, he gives me a countdown and tells me I'll be having the baby in April and then we talk about the baby while he lets me and Cayson look at it.

"So. How long have you been trying?" he asks.

"I was inseminated," I reply.

"Oh. That's interesting, hm?" he questions.

"Yeah. I'm a surrogate for the father." I say, astonished as I look back at the monitor smiling.

It's hard to believe that I'm actually pregnant. I'm actually carrying a child. But it's bittersweet. Elijah was supposed to be here with me. He was supposed to see the baby for the first time with me, not Cayson.

"I don't get a lot of surrogate mothers," he replies, knitting his brows together. "So what are we hoping the gender is?"

"I don't really know. I haven't really thought about it. I guess I'd want a girl," I say with a smile.

We continue talking and after a bit, he finishes up, taking pictures of the baby and printing them out. As he speaks, I wipe off my stomach with the towel he's given me.

"No red meat, no caffeine, too much anyway, and obviously no smoking, no drugs or alcohol. If you have any more questions about anything, give me a call," he says, giving me a card with his number on it.

"Thank you." I say, grabbing it and analyzing it carefully.

"Have a nice day."

"You too," I reply, giving him a smile.

He walks out as I slide off the bed, grabbing my things and walking out, Cayson coming behind me.

"You okay?" he asks as we walk out of the office.

"No, Cayson. I'm not." I say, anger boiling in my blood.

"Listen-" he says before he's suddenly interrupted.

"Leilah."

Cayson gets cut off by a voice I didn't expect to hear. I turn around to meet Elijah's gaze.

"You're late. An hour and.." I look down at my phone in my hand. 11:03 a.m. "Three minutes. An hour and three minutes late." I turn around to start walking to the car when I feel Elijah tug back on my arm. I meet his eyes with a stern glare. "Let me go." I say.

"Listen to me-"

"I said let me go. Now." I say angrily.

"Fuck that." He pulls me by the arm and over to his car, almost literally throwing me in, and closing my door. He nods to Cayson and he shakes his head, walking to his car. Elijah gets in the car and reverses from his parking spot and starts the drive home. "Listen-"

"I don't want to." I say, crossing my arms and looking out the window.

"I swear to God, I will duct tape your mouth shut and sew it to your lips if you don't let me speak." he says in a stern tone. I scoff. He sighs and pushes his hips forward before speaking. "I'm sorry." he says.

"For?" I ask, looking at him to answer.

"You know what."

"Mm-mm. I don't think I do," I retort, looking back out the window.

I can feel his eyes on me as a smirk paints onto my face, but quickly fades. Again, he sighs.

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it," he finally says.

"You should be. You told me you would make it twenty minutes before my appointment and then proceeded to miss the entire thing and show up minutes after." I say angrily.

"Leilah I don't know how many times we have to go over the fact that I'm a busy man. I'm working. Things happen. Situations change-"

"I literally can't believe you right now." I say with a scoff, interrupting him. "You expect me to sit here and listen to this bullshit?"

"Yeah, 'cause you are."

"You're hilarious. Let me out."

"You don't have anywhere to go."

"I could go to Tyler's and sleep in his bed tonight. Or Cayson's." I say, wanting to get a rise out of him.

He looks over to me in disbelief.

"I knew it." he says, shaking his head. "How long, hm? Since I left?"

"Little before that," I lie.

He brakes hard and puts the car in park, making me jerk forward. My hands stop me from colliding with the dashboard until he grabs my face and pushes my head back into the seat, forcing me to look into his eyes.

"Don't fucking lie to me. Look me in the eyes and tell me you meant that shit." he says, breathing hard. I can hear cars honking behind us as I sit there, frozen in shock.

"I was kidding. I swear." I whisper, almost afraid to get any louder than I am.

He looks over my expression and his eyes stop at my lips. He looks at them for a moment before kissing me, his lips moving over mine in an aggressive manner, catching me off guard. But for some reason, I don't move. And I don't hesitate to kiss him back. Why is he doing this? Wasn't he just screaming my head off? Maybe I'm imagining. I close my eyes and I open them to see him placing another kiss to my lips.

There goes that. Before I know it, he's pulled away from me, giving me a lingering look before putting the car in drive and continuing the drive back. With his eyes still on the road, he scolds me.

"Don't ever think about pulling that bullshit again. I won't hesitate to pull back my chair and shove every word back down your throat next time."

I gulp, running my fingers over my throat as I sit back in my chair, my breathing still not seeming to slow down. I don't know what that was, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it again.