1

"YOU DO know that I don't believe in women being objectified like this."

"Oh, come on, Alyssa, it's for a good cause."

Looking at myself in the mirror, I held all of my dignity within that tiny dress. I could barely breathe from the corset wrapped firmly around me, hiding my imperfections. My body wasn't quite as it seemed. After all of the adjustments, to the eyes of many, I had the perfect hourglass body. But when I took off all the fabrics that sucked my femininity in, I would stare at my small muffin top in agony.

"I should've at least gotten a month's notice so I could've worked out a bit," I grumble.

"I'm just over here, rolling my eyes, you skinny bitch," Markian crossed his arms over his chest, "you're a hot piece of ass, don't be so insecure."

I'd never considered myself anything more than average looking. When someone complimented me, I often took it as an exaggeration, "fine, let's get this over with," I never thought that I'd be a part of a charity date auction. Another girl dropped out, and my dear friend, Markian, begged me to fill in. I couldn't say that it wasn't somewhat exciting, but I was insecure, and felt pressured to look my best.

Markian said, "you're up next. You look great, honey. Don't worry so much," I took another glance at myself in the mirror, wondering if I should back out. But I couldn't do that to Markian. He was counting on me. And it was for a good cause, right? I hoped that I didn't get stuck with some old geezer. That was my biggest worry.

"You owe me. And I'm going to hold this over you forever," I told him.

"Fine, fine," he gestured for me to follow him, "you know I wouldn't have asked if I didn't have any other option."

I nodded, as I listened to the host's voice, "can I get ten thousand?" I pressed my lips together, as my heart tightened inside of my chest. Would anyone even bid so high for me? "Fifteen thousand to the gentleman in the red tuxedo."

My heart sank. I had no confidence that I'd be able to get men calling out big figures like that, "you ready, honey?" I shook my head, as I began to panic, "go, go."

I walked onto stage, and towards the host. He looked at me and smiled, before turning his attention back to the audience. Taking a glance across the room, I saw so many men, and that had my skin crawling.

"The next beautiful woman to be auctioned is Alyssa Masters. Can I get one hundred?" The host announced, and it felt like a million days before someone actually rose their paddle, "okay one hundred, can I get one fifty?"

"Two hundred," my eyes flickered across the room, looking for that person. I met a pair of wrinkled, brown eyes. The man was probably as old as my grandfather. His short, fuzzy, grey hair, and crooked smile had my chest pumping at a hundred beats per second.

"Two hundred, can I get three?" I began to panic. What if no one else placed a bid? I'd be stuck on a date with a Morgan Freeman look-alike. Or was he Morgan Freeman? It was an elite auction, and there were a few famous people in the room. But mostly old geezers looking to score on a bought date.

The first guy to bid on me raised his paddle. He wasn't too bad looking. His hair was full and blonde, and his caramel colored skin wasn't unappealing.

"Five hundred," the old man raised his paddle, and winked at me. I felt all the blood rush to my toes. Okay, look away from him. Maybe then he'll give up on you.

"One thousand," a new voice called across the room. I looked at the person, surprise in my eyes. It was my ex-boyfriend, Ricky. What is he doing here?

"Five thousand," fuck. I decided to close my eyes. I didn't think the old guy would bid so much on me. It was kind of scary.

"Ten thousand," another new voice had me searching around the room. That bidder looked young enough to be my son. He didn't look older than seventeen with his messy brunette hair, and small stature.

"Ten thousand, anyone willing to bid higher?" The host seemed hopeful. I sucked in my breath, and waited for an answer.

"Fifteen thousand," my heart beat skipped inside of my chest. Is that a woman's voice? When I found her raised paddle, I immediately looked for her eyes. She looked like one of those housewives from Beverly Hills. Her red hair was as gorgeous as the flames of a burning fire, and those eyes of hers had my heart thumping even worse than before. Gosh, she's beautiful. Are women even allowed to bid at auctions like this? My anxiety escalated through the roof.

I didn't think that I'd get that far, and just wanted it to be over. There was something so disturbing about me standing there, while figures were called across the room. In some ways, it gave me an ego boost, but all in all, it was unnerving.

"Sixteen thousand," Ricky grinned at me, but I pulled my attention away from him immediately, and back to the red-haired woman with the most intense eyes in the room.

"Twenty thousand," she announced, giving my ego an even bigger boost. Who pays so much for a date? I wasn't a celebrity, or anyone special. I might have been beautiful enough to turn a few heads in the room. But was I being targeted by that gorgeous woman? My night was taking a surprising turn. And I didn't feel as uncomfortable as before.

"That's the highest bid so far tonight. Is anyone willing to out-bid such a beautiful woman?" She curved her fingers around her wine glass, and tilted her head to the side. Her eyes didn't leave mine, and vice versa. I just couldn't shake the thought that I might have been going on a date with a woman.

"Twenty-five thousand!" Ricky shouted across the room. His voice stung my ears, and I'd rather die than have to spend more than a few minutes around him.

"Fifty thousand," what the hell? That was way too much. Our eye contact intensified, and my jaw almost dropped.

"Fucking dyke," my eyes rushed towards Ricky, as he rubbed his temple in agony. Now I remember why we didn't work out. You're an asshole.

"Fifty thousand, going once, going twice..."

"Fifty-five thousand!" The old man, who reminded me of Morgan Freeman, announced. I felt as though I would faint at any moment. No, no, no, no, no. He winked at me, as the room fell silent for a few seconds.

"Seventy-thousand," the old man frowned, and threw his paddle onto the floor. I looked at the gorgeous woman, her paddle in the air, and her eyes staring into my soul.

"Seventy-thousand going once, going twice..." the host waited a bit for an answer, "that's a deal! Congratulations, beautiful lady. Sounds like a great date to me," he applauded, as I hurried off of the stage.

"Alyssa! Wow!" Markian rushed over to me with the biggest smile on his face.

"I can't believe that just happened," I mumbled. He pulled me in for a hug, and jumped up and down. I felt extremely anxious.

"You should be excited. You probably got the biggest bid tonight," he said.

I didn't want to show how excited I was. For god's sake, I had to go on a date with a woman. I wondered how that was going to work out.

"Yeah, it's fine. So, like, you have to give her my number or something?"

"You have to meet her, honey. Exchange words? You know, make it less creepy."

"How can this not be creepy? Men flaunting money at beautiful women—"

"Yes, finally you accept that you're beautiful."

"I didn't mean it like that," I was tired and overwhelmed. My mind was still processing the whole situation, but I couldn't wait to meet the beautiful redhead.