28

"HI, I was wondering if you have time to grab coffee?" Delia asked over the phone. I was surprised to get a call from her. But just the thought about seeing her made me excited.

"Yeah, now, or—"

"Yes, now. I mean, if you can. I'm free."

"Where would you like me to meet you?" I smiled, "or are you going to pick me up?"

"I'll pick you up, darling. I know your car's still smashed up," I gritted my teeth thinking about that.

"Yeah. It's in the workshop. Won't get it till next week," I said.

"Okay, I'll be there in a bit. Now leaving the office," my heart raced, "I'll see you at your door."

"IT'S NICE to see you again, Mrs. Masters," my mother answered the door, before I got the chance.

"You too, Delia. I've wanted to invite you over. But Alyssa said you've been busy."

"Yeah, work's always hectic," she walked in, and smiled as soon as she saw me. My mom seemed to like her. I wondered if she'd still like Delia if she knew about her sexuality.

"I'm ready when you are," I said.

"I'll bring her back in a few hours, Mrs. Masters."

"You too take your time. It's good that she's getting out of the house. She's been cooped up in here."

"Bye, Mom."

When we left the apartment, I sighed in relief. I was thankful to get away from that lady for a few hours. She was more obsessive about baby clothes than I was, "you look good," Delia walked beside me, her hands in the pockets of her trench coat.

"Thank you. You always look good," I responded. We walked into the elevator, and she pressed the ground floor button, "I didn't think you'd want to see me so soon."

"Me neither," she looked at me. Is that a blush that I see? "I just missed you. Friends grab coffee, don't they?"

"Yeah, they do," my heart wrenched. I want to be more than just your friend.

We walked to her car, and she opened the passenger's side door for me, "you're such a gentlewoman."

"Gentlewoman?" She smirked and looked at me, as I slid in. She closed the door, and walked over to the driver's side. Opening the door, she popped her head in, "I just know how to treat a lady."

She laughed and slid into her seat. We buckled our seatbelts, and she started the car, "you do."

"So when are you moving? I thought you'd be gone by now."

"Pushed it back by a few weeks. My boss isn't too happy, but you know, doctor's orders, I told him."

"Okay, when are you then?"

"The end of January. I'm supposed to be packing, but I don't know," I shrugged, "it doesn't feel right."

"Do your parents know?"

"Not yet. Haven't had the energy. It's like I know it has to happen, but I won't let myself believe it," she focused on the road, as she pulled out of the parking lot. I admired the definition of her jawline, even though I was supposed to be thinking about what I was going to do. There was so much to be done before the break of the new year. I pushed every thought about that at the back of my mind, because I didn't know where to start, or what I even wanted anymore.

"Are you having a hard time moving? I bet you can stay here, and travel to Chicago when necessary instead."

"I wish that could work. But the Chicago office needs a lot of adjustments, and my boss thinks I'm the woman to do it."

I did enjoy my job. Mostly because it came naturally to me, "why didn't you say no? You don't seem happy to go."

"I'm not. But he didn't give me the choice," I sighed, "maybe I want a change. But I don't know what that is supposed to be."

She glanced at me and smiled, "I know you will figure it out," she turned into the parking lot, "and if you ever need a job, a lot of people owe me favors."

"Oh, really. I think I'll take you up on that offer some day."

"I mean you can always work for me. You know more than just divorce, don't you?"

She turned off the car, and looked at me, "I'm a divorce lawyer, that speaks for itself."

"Okay," she exited the car. And I followed her. We walked into the cafe, and looked for a table, "I'm looking for someone to work exclusively for my company, you know anyone up to the job?"

"I bet Brenda wouldn't mind," we sat down, and gave a waiter our order.

"She's not what I'm looking for. The company is expanding, and I need someone to be all hands on deck."

"There's a lot of people who would be great for the job. I bet you'll find someone."

"I know I will," she said.