25

"ALYSSA MASTERS?" I nodded, as a police officer walked into my room. My parents went down to the cafeteria, and Delia was nowhere in sight. I didn't know where my phone was, so I couldn't even get in contact with her.

"Yes?" I knew why the police were there. I didn't want to alarm my parents. And I was scared shitless. But it wasn't the most troublesome thing on my mind, Delia was.

"Do you mind if I asked you a few questions?"

"I heard that it was a hit and run?" I asked for confirmation.

He nodded and walked closer, "we've accessed surveillance cameras around your office building, and from traffic lights. It wasn't an accident."

"Are you sure?" My brain was still fuzzy about what happened. But would she really do that on purpose?

"Yes. I'm sorry to say. We have identified the woman as Meggie Adams," I can't believe it. Having everything sink in was difficult. Meggie was capable of doing that?

I was both angry and guilty. Because I knew I provoked her, denied her, and hurt her feelings. But that didn't give her any right to hurt me, and my baby, "is she in a lot of trouble?"

"Well, yes, we consider that attempted murder. What saved you is that she slammed into the passenger side of your car. You swerved just enough to save yourself."

My heart was pounding inside of my chest, as I remembered exactly what happened. She almost killed me. Maybe God really is protecting me.

"Should I be worried?" I swallowed hard. I'd watched crime shows. Maybe she'd try to finish the job. And maybe my life wasn't precious enough, but the child that I was carrying was more important to me than anything in the world.

"I'd recommend you stay with someone for a few days, just until you feel better, and we find the assailant. I can organize for one of our officers to stay with you until then."

"Okay," I had nothing else to say. I was scared. And the only person who I wanted to tell me that everything's going to be okay was Delia. But she was nowhere to be found.

"I'LL BE in the kitchen, if you need me for anything, honey," Mom said. The police retrieved my purse from my smashed car. I was more than happy to have my phone with me again, just so that I could call Delia.

I made sure to wait until I was alone. Because my parents would eavesdrop. Dialing her number, I waited in suspense. I hoped that she would answer. I knew that she cared about me enough to do so. Why else would she stay with me until my parents arrived? She cared. I knew that. And I wanted to explain everything to her. Even if it still would mean that she didn't want me. At least I'd clear my conscience.

She didn't answer. I tried again, and again. But she wouldn't.

Tears were streaming down my cheeks, and I threw my phone across the bed. I felt lost, and even more incomplete than I normally did.

Wrapping my arm around my stomach, I closed my eyes, and tried to accept the fact that keeping the baby meant losing Delia. And it was something that I had to live with.