3

MARKIAN FOUND me sipping on a glass of wine, and sitting in a corner by myself, "I'm glad that's finally over," he sighed and leaned on the wall next to me. I had the privilege of watching overbearingly wealthy men bid on the last set of women that night, and it was quite boring. I seemed to be the only woman to have a date with another woman, and the men had been giving me glances all night—probably for that reason.

The old man who attempted to outbid Delia was cozying up to another girl, probably someone he could actually afford. It was nice to think that I was pricey.

I wasn't interested in Delia—not romantically at least. I wasn't sure about her thoughts on it, but thinking about what almost happened earlier, before Ricky intruded, I did know.

"Did you see my ex, by chance?" I looked at Markian, as he arched his brow.

"Your ex? Which one?" He asked.

"You wouldn't know him. He's deep down the rabbit hole of my failed relationships."

"Is he still here?" Markian flicked his eyes across the room, where women were having drinks with the men that won them.

"I think he left around the same time Delia did."

"Delia, huh? She's one fine looking woman," he took a seat next to me, and propped his elbows onto the table.

"Yeah, she's nice. Though I'm nervous about the date. I don't know how to act, and what to say, and what not to say."

"Just be yourself, honey. It's just a meal with a stranger—a beautiful stranger. Too bad you're as straight as they come, else I'd tell you to go for it. She seems like a catch."

"Right. I'm so not into women," I bit down on the inside of my cheek.

Markian laughed, "she chose the wrong woman to bid on. I mean Harley's the bisexual out of all of you girls, and she got stuck with that seventy year old."

"I guess a woman's better than some old creep."

"It's not something you should worry about. She'll treat you to a nice dinner, and you just have to let her down gently, if she's into you. Who knows, she might have just done it to support the charity, and you were the lucky girl she chose."

I placed my hand against my stomach, feeling the stiffness of the corset, as it blistered my skin.

"Yeah? Then why did she try to kiss me?"

"What?" Markian clasped his hands, as his jaw dropped, "what did you do?"

"I pulled away, like any straight woman would," I pressed my lips together, and looked away from him. Maybe I didn't do anything to stop her, but that didn't automatically mean that I was interested in her. It was just a lapse in judgement.

"I don't think I'd have the restraint like you do if I were in your shoes."

"Yeah, well, she seems nice, but I'm for dick one hundred percent of the way."

Markian nudged my arm, "yeah you are."