10

"ARE YOU going to tell me where we're going?" I slid my sunglasses into my hair, and looked at her, as she drove.

"Nope. Just wait and see, darling,"

"Well, I'm starving, so it better consist of food," my phone buzzed, and I looked at the screen. It was a message from Markian.

Markian: I'm sorry about the other night...

I unlocked my phone with my face ID, and read the rest of the message.

Markian: I know you're not into women. I didn't mean to pressure you into anything. You know the alcohol switches up my brain cells, and makes me stupid. I'm sorry, honey. Forgive me?

Me: You're an asshole, but yea, I forgive you. I'm busy right now, ttyl.

The three jumping dots popped up, as soon as I tapped send.

Markian: Okay.

"Any interesting cases lately?" I refocused my attention on Delia, and tucked my phone into my purse.

"Other than a huge custody battle, not really," I responded.

"Custody battle, huh? Who do you think is going to win?" I whined up the passenger's side window so that the wind wouldn't affect my hearing.

"It's a coin toss. My client's in a tricky situation. It might end up in court."

"Nice. Do they still allow observers in there? I'd love to watch you in your zone," her red hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and it was straight instead of curly. She probably had a blow out recently.

"Unless you're allowed access into court, I doubt it, " I knew that it was more than possible for her to be present, but I didn't want her to be. She'd be too much of a distraction.

She took a glance at me and smiled, "are you afraid of water?" That's such a random question.

"Uh, no. Why do you ask?"

"Just a precaution. I probably should have asked you that, before I planned this out," I realized what she was referring to when she turned into the parking lot. We were at the marina, but not one that I was familiar with. There were about ten fancy yachts lined off, and I bet at least one was hers.

"You're taking me sailing?" I asked. She unbuckled her seatbelt, and turned to me.

"Don't get seasick on me," she winked and hopped out of the car. I followed her onto the pier, and looked at the yachts, trying to guess which one was hers.

She placed her hand in mine, and escorted me towards the one at the farthest end. I looked down at our intertwined fingers with a thumping inside of my chest. Looking up at the majestic yacht in front of me, my jaw almost dropped to the floor, "wow, you're filthy rich, aren't you?"

She shrugged, "it's just old money. Come on," we walked onto the ramp, and through the main entrance to get inside. There, awaited a muscled man with an expensive tuxedo on. He looked at me skeptically, but with respect.

"Hello. I hope you're enjoying the evening so far," he pulled a bottle of champagne from an ice bucket, and poured two glasses for us.

"This is Maxwell. He's been around since I was in my teens," he looked more like a bodyguard than a servant or butler. His muscled arms seemed as though they'd rip through his shirt and blazer. And the protective watch that he held, as Delia moved ever so slightly was a little uncomfortable.

"Hi," I smiled at him, and only received narrowed eyes, as he speculated me.

"Maxwell, maybe you can give us some privacy?"

He looked at her and nodded, "I'll be right outside if you need me," he gave me another glance before leaving.

"I'm sorry about that. He's a bit overprotective," she handed me a glass of champagne, and led me to the couch. We sat down, and drank our champagne in silence.

"Why do you have a bodyguard?" I asked.

She looked at me, and placed her hand on my thigh. It didn't seem as though she was trying to come on to me, but my skin tingled from her touch. And the longer she left her hand there, the longer I wouldn't be able to breathe. But it felt nice—intimate and innocent.

I couldn't say that I didn't enjoy her company—her touch, her voice, her charm.

"Just for some protection. I," she paused, "don't want to get into it, but I feel better when he's around."

"So you think if you take me out at sea, that I'll try to harm you?"

"No, no," she leaned closer, and gripped my thigh, "he's always around."

"Really?" I'd never noticed him before, "so when we went to dinner—"

"He was there, at another table," wow, that's concerning. I suddenly didn't feel as comfortable.

"And the auction?"

"He was there too. He tries to give me as much space as possible, but you know, it would be hard for him to go unseen in the yacht."

"Okay," I leaned the glass to my lips, and downed the rest of the champagne.

"Does it make you uncomfortable?" She asked. I shrugged. I just wasn't used to having someone watching over me.

"It is what it is. It's not that unusual for someone to have a bodyguard."

"I guess it isn't," she removed her hand from my thigh, and placed it on my shoulder. I took a deep breath, as she looked into my eyes, "I hope you like sushi. We'll have dinner when you get hungry."

She looked down at my lips, then back to my eyes, "uh, okay," I mumbled.

Her hot breath fanned against my lips, giving me a hint of what she'd taste like. I then looked past her, and saw Maxwell, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Delia," I placed my hand on her shoulder, and pushed her back, "let's eat?" She looked at Maxwell, probably glaring at him. He lifted his hands up in surrender, and turned around.

"Can you set the table, Maxwell?" He looked back at her and nodded, "I really am sorry," her eyes met mine, and she sighed.

"Does he watch while you have sex too?" I raised my eyebrows, and her eyes widened.

"God, no. That would be way too weird," she rubbed the back of her neck, and got up, "I'll ask him to lay off for the rest of the night."

"It's not like we're going to do anything."

"Right. Sure we won't," she winked and cupped my cheek with the palm of her hand, "I'll make him stay away just in case we do then. I've been dying the kiss you."

"That must be dreadful. You must be almost out of life by now," I teased.

"I was just waiting for the right time. And I can see now that you wouldn't mind if I do," she caressed my cheek with her thumb, "actually, I'm sure you won't."

"So confident with yourself. What if you're wrong?" Her thumb dragged across my bottom lip, causing me to shudder. She's so full of herself.

"I know that I'm not."