9

WHEN I got to work, Meggie sat at her desk without looking up to acknowledge me passing by. I closed my office door, and searched my purse for my cell phone. Delia hadn't messaged me yet, but it was barely 8:00 in the morning, and I didn't know what time she would usually start her day. She might have still been asleep.

I didn't have anything scheduled for the next half an hour, so I decided to sit down, and close my eyes for a bit. Good thing I had a sofa in my office.

About five minutes into relaxing, I heard a knock on my office door, and didn't hear a voice with it. My eyes snapped open, and I sat up to fix my posture. Rubbing my palms over my hair, I headed for the door, and opened it.

"Meg," she held a clipboard between her arm, and a terrified look in her eyes.

"I was wondering if we could talk."

"Sure," I opened the door wider, and headed to my desk. Sitting down, she walked in, and closed the door behind her, "are you okay?"

She positioned the clipboard against her chest and nodded, "I'm sorry for overstepping yesterday. Mr. McConnon spoke to me about your complaint, and it'll never happen again."

He spoke to her?

"I'd appreciate that. Thank you," I said. She bit down on the inside of her cheek, and kept repositioning her weight on either side. It seemed as though she wanted to get something off of her mind, but was having second thoughts, "Meg, what's on your mind?" It was a mistake to ask, but curiosity got the best of me.

"You're really straight? Like not bi even?"

"I don't see how that matters. The point is, you're my assistant. It's a boundary that I'm never going to cross. I'm sorry, Meg. But we're never going to happen."

Fuck, if she starts crying, I'm going to feel so bad.

"I just got this vibe off of you," she said. I'd heard about the theory behind the vibe. I doubt it's one hundred percent accurate. But maybe she did pick me up on her radar. God knows that I'm not as straight as I thought I was.

"I didn't know that you're into women in the first place. I would have never guessed," I switched it over to her. I guess I didn't possess the gaydar.

"Yeah, I'm bisexual," and apparently, you like older women. I couldn't understand her interest in me. I had nothing to offer a young woman like her, or maybe it was just sexual attraction, which I still didn't understand.

"The last thing that I want to do is hurt your feelings. But please, find someone else to focus your lust on."

"You haven't given me a straight answer though. Just tell me that you're not into women, and I'll leave you alone—never to bring up any of this again."

Of course I was going to lie. Not only did I want her to stay away from me, but I didn't want the entire office to know my business either. I could imagine it—Alyssa's a lesbian. I didn't want to be labelled, before I even got the chance to find out if it was true or not. Who knows, maybe I was bisexual just like Meggie.

"I'm only interested in men, Meg."

She sighed and nodded, "okay, I'll get back to work," if only you knew, you'd call me a liar.

"YOUR APARTMENT is nice," I led Delia into the living room, and gestured for her to sit. The only thing that I managed to find was an old jug at the back of my cupboard to store the flowers in. I could've sworn that I had a vase somewhere, but couldn't find it.

"Thanks. I decorated it myself," who needed a designer? I just picked out some stuff from IKEA, and created a comfortable living space for myself.

"Now, that's precious," she said. I placed the jug of flowers onto my dining table, "it's a cute jug. Where can I buy one from?" She giggled.

"Don't mock me, it's the only thing I could find," the only alternative was to use the small garbage bin that I had in my bedroom.

"No, no, I like it. Gives the flowers some authenticity."

I grabbed my purse, and threw my keys inside. My wallet was probably in the kitchen, and I wasn't sure where my phone was.

"You're cute. But you'd be cuter if you could help me find my phone."

She smiled, "on it."

I grabbed my wallet from the kitchen counter, and a bottle of water from the fridge, "it might be in my bedroom," I should've just looked for it myself. She was less likely to find it than I was. But I'd search the same area ten times, and still not find it, even though it would be right there.

I sighed and walked into my bedroom, immediately regretting sending her there. Fuck my life. My bed was neatly made, but my hot pink vibrator was on top of the nightstand from when I used it earlier. I mean, I had to release some frustration, before she came over. I didn't want to be tempted to have sex with her.

Okay, maybe she hasn't seen it. I walked over to my nightstand, and shoved it into the drawer. She giggled and held my phone up, "it was on your dresser."

"Right. Thanks."

"I didn't expect you to invite me into your bedroom so soon. Was the phone just a ruse to get me in here?" She walked closer with a grin on her face.

"Uh, no?" Why did I say it like a question? I swallowed, as she handed me my phone, and looked at the nightstand.

"And you're not as smooth as you think. I did see it," she winked and walked out of the room, as hot red stained my cheeks.