21

MY MEETING ended abruptly when my client got a phone call from her kid's school, causing us to have to reschedule. It was probably something important.

I curiously walked by Brenda Steeles' office, hoping that I'd get a peek inside. But just like my office, she didn't have transparent walls. And the door was closed.

"Finding what you're looking for?" McConnon approached me with a goofy smile. I placed my right hand on my left shoulder, and shook my head.

"No, I'm just killing some time. Don't have anything else scheduled for today."

"Come into my office so that we can chat."

"Okay," I followed him, and he closed the door, "what do you want to talk about, boss?"

"You know what I want to talk about," he crossed his arms over his chest, looking at me straight in the eye.

"I, uh—" did Meg complain on me already? That damn bitch.

"Mrs. Aquilla. You charmed the hell out of her. I think she might take us on as her go-to law firm even. But you know, you have to give your best on her case."

"I know," I sighed in relief, "she's already given me the details. I'm working on the draft of my argument."

AFTER DISCUSSING a few other things with him, I headed into my office. That was when I got a text from Delia.

Delia: Had to rush out. I'm free after 6.

Me: You can come over. I'll cook you dinner, and we can talk.

Delia: You sure? I can bring takeout.

Me: I'm sure. I'm surprised that your bodyguard wasn't with you today.

Delia: He was. He's the master of disguise.

Me: Really now?

Delia: Lol. No. I made him wait in the car.

Me: Haha, so that you could sneak a kiss?

Delia: Exactly... I'll see you later. I won't be later than 6:30.

LEANING AGAINST my kitchen counter, looking at the glass of wine that I poured, I sighed deeply. It slipped my mind that I couldn't drink for the next six months—maybe even years. I'd have to breastfeed, and I didn't want to contaminate my baby's nutrients in any way. I'd already been drinking for the first few weeks, and hopefully, it wouldn't affect the bean when she was born. Damn, I really want a girl.

When I heard the doorbell, I inhaled a deep breath, and went to the door, "you're early."

Delia held her handbag against her chest, and sighed deeply, "it's been a long day," she walked inside, and threw her bag onto the couch.

I closed the door, and followed her into the kitchen, "I hope you're hungry."

"Starving. What is it that you whipped up? It smells great."

"Just salmon and spiced corn," she lifted the cover of the pot, and inhaled exaggeratedly.

"I need to come over more often."

"Help me set the table?"

She nodded and grabbed the glass of wine from the counter, "you don't mind if I take a sip, right?" It's not like I can drink it anyway.

I shook my head, "bring the plates and utensils," I picked up the pot, and carried it to the table.

Delia said, "I'll have to cook for you sometime. Do you like ramen?" She giggled.

"Ramen is all I ate in college, and protein bars," she sat down, and placed utensils in front of me.

"I lived off of Starbucks and Subway."