~35~

“Yeah, I know exactly why she’s like this.” Marcus lifted his eyes to stare back into the last standing Cullens, “I’ve heard about it, but I thought they didn’t waste time on us anymore.” He himself knew exactly who did this, it was a shame that he hid this quite well from his brothers and the mind reader, but it was important that he held his end of the deal with that scary woman.

“They?” Edward was back, but in his words only for a short amount of time. He wants to get back to Bella as soon as possible because the girl spoke her first word in over a year.

“They're not like us,” He frowned, “in fact they're beyond what we could ever be.” He stared in Esme in sadness, “they promised me my mate back, but ended up reversing after what my brother did.” He glared at Aro, the man’s greediness cost him his mate, and that was something that he would never forgive.

“Then what are they? What did they do to Esme?” Rosalie jumped up, she was annoyed with everything that has happened so far, and spring break had slipped right from under her nose.

“They're called witches, but they aren’t your average witch, they might as well be considered gods, because the power they have is truly impeccable.” Aro stepped in, a small look of awe gracing his face as he spoke, “I didn’t think any of you would run into one, but maybe they lured poor Esme in for her blood.” He spoke like it wasn’t anything new.

“Her blood?” Jasper was confused, “vampires have venom, not blood.” He didn’t think they did anyways.

“Your wrong.” Carlisle surprisingly spoke up, “we still have blood running through our veins, but it’s very little, and separated from our venom. It’s what makes us crave blood, because we hope to fill what we’re missing.” He spoke cautiously, “there were other vampires before us that had pierceable skin, but I guess we’re a different strand.” He felt dread overcome him when he saw his mate in that state, his heart felt like it had shattered into pieces, forgetting about stopping beating.

“But that doesn’t explain how the blood was extracted if nothing can pierce skin.” Edward stood up next, “someone attacked mom, and no one is feeling like they need to be found?” He was getting angry all over again.

“What if it was that same person that attacked Bella!” He felt his heart sting, the fact that she talked, but it wasn’t to him made him feel some type of way.

“Well Bella isn’t sleeping now is she?” Rosalie scoffed, “pull your head out of the clouds and see the bigger picture here.” She pointed towards Esme, “something is out there with the power to drain a vampire, and if they get their hands on one of us, we’ll be goners!” She almost spit with how big she opened her mouth to explain.

“Nonsense.” Marcus snorted, “they aren’t monsters, they had to have a motive to do what they did, they would never do it just because.” He smiled, though it was pretty faked, and very forced.

“They would never waste their time on mistakes like us.” Caius nodded, “I’ve only seen a glimpse of one, blonde hair, and dark eyes.” He grumbled, “if I was mated I would’ve attempted to get with her.” He spoke calmly, “very beautiful, but every rose has it’s thorns.” He seemed bitter about it, but no one bothered to push for more.

“They're here, looking for something.” Aro grinned, “or perhaps someone.” He was curious who had their attention for them to put on quite a show. It made his mouth water in delight, his tongue running over his fangs multiple times as he fantasized about the power this person must have to attract one of most powerful beings' attention.

“So keep a lookout, and don’t worry about poor Esme.” He patted her head, “find her blood from the woman the exact age she is with the exact same blood type, then she’ll be fine.” If he could blush he would be, the thought of the Cullen’s breaking their petty morals was a delight that he and Caius would get off to for a while.