Too fast

https://twitter.com/cqwt4k?s=20&t=MO94FENeU3ARdk2J7MWq4A

Creator of chapter cover 😍😍

TW: suicidal, swearing, angst, reckless driving

-

"Dream?"

"Dream!"

"DREAM!?"

"GODDAMNIT GEORGE, WHAT!?" Dream shouted into the dark. The hum of his motor rumbled under his foot that was pressing down a rectangular piece of medal.

Strands of blonde hair flew around his head in the high AC blasting toward him, while others clung to his forehead in a sweaty mess.

He heard light sniffles and shallow breathing being broadcast in his car. "Slow down Dream. I can hear your car."

Dream flung his arm at the dial on his dashboard, turning down the audio sound. George was barely a whisper now.

He glanced back at the dashboard at his speedometer, the shaking arrow reaching the orange section.

"DREAM! ANSWER ME!" Dream turned the dial back up. "What." His voice came out horse and stern. His hands gripped the wheel tightly.

"Pull over."

"Dream?"

"No."

Dream glanced at himself in his rear view mirror, not recognizing the man in front of him. He was a happy, easy going, chill boy.

This man was corse. He was darkened and old. His eyes were sad and his cheeks were wet. His lips were parted and his eyebrows were drawn.

"Dream. Please.."

George was asking. Begging.. Sobbing.

Dream slammed his hand on the wheel, causing himself to jump. "I can't George! I can't. I tried I really did. I'm always trying and never getting anywhere and I'm tired of it. I'm going somewhere now. I'm moving forward. I can't stop. I can't slow down. I have to keep going. I have to go quickly because it's getting away. It's getting away and I can't lose it because this is all I have George. You are all I have. And I can't lose you."

His voice was cracking as if he were 15 again. Tears were drying on his face as soon as they fell due to the heavy air pounding his cheeks.

The little arrow was dancing in the red, flickering about. The car was making intolerable noises, pushing the motor as hard as it could go.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry Dream I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Dream felt his foot falter.

"Dream come back, please. Please come home I'm sorry, please."

Dream's chest was rising and falling faster than before. He felt his shoulders jolt as an animal like sound came from his mouth. He could barely see, the tears filling his eyes more than before.

His car came to a shuddering stop on the side of the road.

He covered his mouth as more rib shaking sobs flowed from him, his grey shirt now stained from the amount of drops falling on it.

He slammed his hand up and down on the wheel in front of him, letting his other hand fall from his face.

He heard his partner's cries playing all around him, booming in the new found silence without the motor's own cries.

"George!" Dream shouted out.

"Yes?" Came shakily after.

"Do," Dream took a deep breath to steady his speech, "Do you hate me?"

The cries on the phone became sobs. "No Dream. No. I.. I love you Dream. I love you. I love you! Okay!?" Dream felt his whole world spinning around the words. "Stop. Stop. You can't okay? You can't love me."

"What?"

"You can't love me George! Because I love you too! And if I love you then I can't be with you because I'll ruin it. I'll go too fast and I'll crash."

"..I.. I don't understand."

"I'm going home George."

"Dream what do you mean? Dream?"

"I love you George."

The car rumbled back to life beneath the blonde's shaking fingers. "Dream what do you mean!? I can't understand Dream! You know that I can't understand!"

Something clicked in Dream's mind. A cable connected. Dream turned the car back off.

"Dream stay right there. I'm coming."

-

Sapnap's Tesla came to a stop behind Dream's white Jeep. George immediately opened his door and slid out, thanking Life360 for existing.

He hurriedly walked towards the jeep and got into the passenger seat.

Dream sat beside him, staring at the ceiling with tears occasionally falling from his eyes.

George lifted his hand into the air, hesitating. He moved it forward and brushed the blonde hair out of his face. For the first time, Dream looked over at him.

George left his hand on Dream's cheek, wiping away stray tears. Dream's eyes moved rapidly over George's face. He drew in a quivering breath.

"I'm sorry George."

George offered a small smile and took his hand away. "It's okay Dream. I shouldn't have said what I did over something so small.. Dream?"

"Hm?"

"Why can't I love you?"

"Too fast, Georgie. Soon."