the common cold

A stuffy, runny nose, scratchy, tickly throat, sneezing, watery eyes, and a low-grade fever.

Cozy dnf

-

Dream rolled over in bed on Thursday morning. He swallowed his morning breath and felt a sting as the spit traveled down his throat. Thinking he must've slept with his mouth open, he walked into his ensuite and took a drink of water.

No luck with that.

He shrugged it off, assuming it'd wear off throughout the day. He brushed his teeth and walked out of the bathroom. He closed the door behind him and walked into the hallway that shared two rooms belonging to his best friends.

He called through their doors that he was making breakfast and walked downstairs towards the kitchen. He patted Patches on the way and continued on his mission. After making a tall stack of pancakes, he sat at the countertop and ate his own.

Not long after, Sapnap joined him in the kitchen. They shared a few morning grumbles, and both went on with eating their pancakes.

George hadn't come down from his room before Dream had left. He walked upstairs to his recording room and shut the door quietly behind him in case George was still sleeping.

He set up his microphone and turned on his pc. He wasn't sure what exactly he was going to film today, but he knew he had to film something.

After all, he hadn't filmed in over a month, and the fans were begging for content. He started recording a solo Minecraft video, trying to reconnect with his old motivation.

He hadn't been recording for even an hour when his throat was really starting to bother him. He decided that maybe he could reschedule this video for later this week. He knew that before, when his throat had hurt, he had worsened it by overworking it. He knew, according to his mom, that he needed to rest it.

So, he turned off the mic and decided to play Minecraft anyway. He hadn't played in a while, and he was really enjoying himself when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" he called. The door swung open, and George was standing there. "Dream, can you make me some breakfast?" Dream rolled his eyes and turned his chair around, "I already made pancakes. They're on the counter or in the fridge if Sapnap bothered to put them in there."

"Oh.. okay, thanks," he said softly, closing the door as he left. Dream turned back around and started playing Minecraft again. Not long after, he got bored. Which wasn't very surprising since he got bored easily. He decided he would go see what George was doing.

He found the older boy still in the kitchen, eating away at his pancakes. "How are you not done yet?" Dream asked. George scoffed through his mouth full, "Because I don't have a big mouth like you do."

Dream rolled his eyes, used to the oldest's teasing. He decided to sit by him, placing his phone flatly on the counter. "What do you want to do today," George asked Dream. "Probably not much," Dream answered. "My throat's kind of bothering me, so I thought maybe we could just lounge around today."

George nodded and put his fork down on his plate. "That's fine with me. I didn't really feel like working today anyway." Dream laughed and picked the plate up off the counter. He took it over to the sink and placed it gently inside.

The two didn't do much for the rest of the day, other than watch a TV show and fall asleep on the couch off and on. At some point in the middle of the night, Dream woke up and went up to his room. It wasn't until he woke up again that he knew something was wrong.

As soon as he was awake enough to feel his body, he knew that his throat had gotten worse. On top of that, his body was aching already. He wasn't sure what sickness he had, but he was sure he had one.

A quick phone call with his mom determined the sickness. She said that it was "probably a cold" and that a lot of people at her work had been getting sick lately. It was just something going around.

He swung his lead-filled legs over the side of his bed and trudged towards his bathroom. He looked in the mirror and saw his disheveled hair, bags under his eyes, and the glossy gleam inside of his eyes that he knew were telltale signs of sickness.

He picked up his phone and sent a quick text to his roommates that he probably wouldn't be coming out of his room much today and that he wasn't feeling good. He opened the cabinet on his bathroom wall and pulled out the thermometer he kept just in case he needed it. 

After a few seconds, that felt like hours, the thermometer beeped, and he saw his temperature: 101. He sighed and walked back over to his bed. He had just been so sick lately. He knew that it was because he hadn't gone out much over the past few years, but he was so tired of it.

He pulled the covers up over his shoulders and turned over, facing away from his window. He felt like he had only been asleep for a few minutes, though the fading light outside begged to differ, when he heard a knock on the door. "Come in," he said wearily from his bed.

George stepped into the room, a bowl of something warm in his hands. The steam rose up from it. "I brought you some soup," he whispered. George kicked the door closed with his foot and stepped further into the room. He sat down on the edge of Dreams bed and waited for Dream to sit up with him.

He gently placed the soup in Dream's hands. The two sat in silence, other than the sounds of Dream's sipping, for a while. It wasn't uncommon, really, for them to sit in silence. They used to be on the phone with each other for pretty much 23 hours a day. They had gotten used to the occasional bout of silence.

"Thanks," Dream croaked. George smiled and took the nearly empty bowel from Dream, placing it on the bedside table next to them. "I'm tired."

"Okay. Rest well," George breathed. He moved to leave, and Dream caught his hand. "Stay." George seemed to debate for a moment before ultimately deciding that he couldn't resist Dream's sick puppy eyes.

He picked the cover up beside Dream and scooted in underneath it beside him. "You better not get me sick from this," George said seriously, with no real threat behind it. Dream smiled and wrapped his arm around George's waist. George tensed for a moment before going soft again.

George looked over at Dream, whose eyes were closed with a small dopey grin on his face. He rolled his eyes and got comfortable. Dream was already a sleepy head, and being sick was definitely going to make it worse. He knew he'd be there for a while.

As much as he liked to complain, he was definitely warm. Warmth was a hard thing to come by in the house, seeing as the two other boys who lived there ran hot. Other than the warmth, he had to admire their position. They were a perfectly intwined pair.

The two laid there together like that for hours afterward. And just days afterward, Dream was feeling better. Yet, in those same days afterward, George woke up with a sting in his throat.

"Dreaaammmm!" He called into the hallway.