sunsetz

And when you go away
I still see you
The sunlight on your face in my rearview

Dream and George are broken up. Dream can't help but relive their blissful romance.

[Short like the song ;-;]

-

Dream swung George's free hand, the other holding strawberry ice cream, as they walked down the paved street side by side. The camera case around Dream's neck bounced against his stomach as he walked. The sun faded into creme-colored oranges and pinks above them. On this afternoon the town was oddly empty, an eerie yet not unwelcomed quiet.

The pair walked silently towards the old Miller playground beside the town square. There were no kids, so the two stepped over the black border that kept the tiny woodchips from flooding the streets.

Dream climbed up the side of the red and green tower. He got inside and turned to help George in. Inside the tower together, they talked about the future. "Next summer," George paused to lick his ice cream, "we should visit Greece." Dream smiled and rubbed the knuckles on George's hand he hadn't stopped holding.

"That'd be awesome. You'd look good in a flowy white gown," Dream complimented. George's cheeks flushed. Dream leaned over and pecked a kiss to George's lips. "Good ice cream," he commented.

"Did you eat yours already," George questioned. "Mhm. A while ago." George looked down at his cone. "Wanna share?" Dream smiled. "I like it better when you eat it," he licked his lips and George glowed red.

Dream scooted closer and pressed a delicate kiss to George's cheek. His neck. His wrist. He put his hand against George's cheek and kissed him again. This time, though, it was long and sweet. George pushed back and before long George was on top of him. His tongue, long since cold from the ice cream, pushed into Dream's mouth.

On the warm summer day, in the warm playground tower, Dream had the best kiss of his life. George pulled away, mouth panting and swollen, and pushed a curl from Dream's forehead. "Hi," Dream breathed. "Hi," George breathed back.

Dream pressed another kiss to George's lips and sat up. George slid off of him back to his original position against the wall of the tower. His long-forgotten strawberry ice cream had melted into liquid, so he set it on another part of the playground equipment.

"What do you wanna do?" George asked. Dream shrugged, "I just wanna listen to your voice. Tell me something." He turned onto his back and lay in George's lap. George ran his fingers through Dream's hair, "What do you want to know?"

"Anything. Everything."

The boys sat up in that tower for hours, talking, kissing, and planning. Being young. Being in love.

And when they were done, Dream helped George climb down. He took his hand again and they walked back towards the ice cream parlor his Jeep was parked beside.

Dream opened the passenger door for George and he climbed in. Dream walked around and got in too, pulling the camera from around his neck. "Let's look at the pictures we took today," he said softly. George nodded.

They scrolled through the muted grey photos of the two of them, of George, of the world. "This one's my favorite," Dream commented, turning to see George already looking at him. His cheeks glowed orange and his eyes shimmered in the dying light of dusk.  "Mine too," he whispered.

And when the sun was almost set, the sky red and fiery, Dream turned on his engine and drove George home. They kissed goodbye and Dream started to pull away. He glanced up at his rearview mirror and saw George, front-lit and golden, waving at him.

And Dream was alone, in his dark room. Alone in his bed. Without George. Without the gooey warmth of his lover. Without happiness. Without the sunset.