Chapter 18

Harry's P.O.V

The next day at breakfast I sat with Ginny; Ron was ignoring me and Hermione was with him.

Everyone on the Gryffindor table seemed to be ignoring me, and if I met eyes with anyone they'd just scowl and look away.

The only time in my life I'd ever experienced being as hated before was probably back in my first year when I lost a lot of house points for Gryffindor.

Even when people thought I was the heir of Slytherin in my second year I was feared, not hated so much!

So anyway, I was innocently eating my cereal when suddenly a large amount of laughter came from the Slytherin table.

I guessed they were probably just trying to attract attention, until the Ravenclaw table burst into laughter as well.

At this point, I looked over, but couldn't see anything. I turned to Ginny.

"What's going on?" I said, but she just shook her head.
"Something ridiculous probably," she said quietly.

Ginny looked up and appeared to be staring at something straight ahead. I followed her gaze, and saw she was looking at Malfoy.

He was sitting there, not laughing, not smiling, but looking down wearing, unless I was mistaken, a distraught expression.

Everyone around him was laughing, but he wasn't. I frowned at this and looked at Ginny, who was still staring ahead with a straight face.

I looked back at Malfoy, but he wasn't there anymore! I looked all around, but he was nowhere to be seen. Ginny, who obviously read my mind, said,
"He must have left."

I don't know what made me do it, but I stood up and left the Great Hall. I didn't know what was going on, but I got the impression that Malfoy was somehow involved, due to the fact he would normally be sitting there at the Slytherin table, laughing also.

It seemed they were laughing at him. I had to follow him, wherever he was going. I don't know what I expected to find, but at that moment I ran into Pansy Parkinson.

"Watch it Potter! I thought you only liked boys these days, so don't get too close!" she said, and ran away laughing to herself.

I had a sudden urge to hex her, but gave in to the temptation. It was lucky I did, because Malfoy was standing a few metres away in front of me.

He was facing me, and looked as though he had just been crying. He was extremely pale, more than usual in fact, and he wasn't wearing his robes. His top button was un-done, and his hair was messed up. He looked quite... sexy to be honest!

Malfoy even looked rather embarrassed to say the least, perhaps to do with the fact his enemy had just caught him during his weakest moment.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he spoke at that very moment.

"Save it, Potter. I don't even care anymore," he said softly, but voice shaking ever so slightly. I frowned.

"Malfoy, what-" but he had already started to stride off in the opposite direction.

I watched after him, and he broke into a run. I stood still, confused.

I waited there for a while, in hope that maybe he'd return, but he didn't.