Chapter 48

Draco's P.O.V.

It was Monday. It was the day of Harry's Quidditch match.

In truth I'd never in my life been more nervous than this. Not even when I was expected to murder Professor Dumbledore.

All week I'd been trying my best to stop Harry from this but he wasn't having it.

Have you ever been in that situation before where you knew something terrible was to happen soon but despite your attempts to stop the occurrence, it was going to happen anyway?

This was how I was feeling.

In the morning I pulled Harry aside during breakfast. He was already wearing his Quidditch robes.

"Harry please, you can't do this!" I begged.

"Enough of this. How many times do I have to tell you? I'll be fine. Calm yourself, Drake," he said.

"Why won't you just believe me?" I whispered, my eyes welling up with tears.

I'm telling you, many people were looking now. It must've really been something to see Draco Malfoy cry.

"Look, say I am going to die. Maybe the only way to stop it is to believe I won't! Well I'll do that, but I need you to too," Harry said.

I shook my head.

At the Gryffindor table, I saw Harry's team starting to get up for what I guessed was a last minute practise.

After that I knew they would be staying at the pitch, waiting for everyone to arrive for the match.

This was the last time I would speak to Harry. I didn't know what to do.

I saw Ginny making her way over, supposedly about to pull Harry away.

I had to make the most of my last minute with him, so without thinking, flung my arms around his waist and pulled him towards me.

I smashed my lips against his and we kissed in front of everyone.

He tried to pull away slightly every now and then, but I just kept the kiss going.

After about a minute we broke apart; well he did, anyway.

"I have to go now," he said breathlessly.

I shook my head.

"No," I whispered.

"Yes, he does. We're already late as it is," Ginny came in, leading Harry away.

They began to walk out with the rest of the Gryffindor team.

"Wait!" I called.

"What now?" Ginny sighed.

"I need to say one last thing to Harry," I replied.

Harry came towards me.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"I love you," I said quietly and hugged him one last time. He hugged me back.

"I love you too," he said.

I let him go and watched as my boyfriend walked out of the Great Hall.

I knew there wasn't anything I could do now to stop him. But I wasn't going to give up that easily.

Everyone was already making their way to the pitch now. Maybe there was some way I could stop the match?

I would have to talk to the headmaster. I looked around for Professor Mcgonagall but couldn't see her anywhere. She was probably already at the pitch preparing her team.

Hermione, Ron and Luna had appeared next to me.

"Hello Draco," Luna said in her usual dreamy voice.

"Oh hi," I said.

My mouth was noticeably dry when I spoke, and I could feel my heart beating in my Adam's apple.

"We were wondering if you wanted to come with us up to the pitch. We could all find seats together," Hermione said.

I thought I may as well. Maybe I'd find Mcgonagall once I was at the pitch.

"Yeah okay," I agreed, so we started walking there.

We began at a slow pace, which I didn't like because that meant It'd be too late when we got there.

"Can we walk faster?" I said.

"Eager, are we?" Ron said.

I glared. I never liked that Weaselbee.

We walked faster now, and we soon arrived.

"Shall we go to the top?" Hermione suggested.

I suddenly saw Mcgonagall walking past us.

"You can. I need to do something," I said quickly.

"Um, okay," said Hermione.

I left them and caught up with Mcgonagall.

"Professor!" I said.

"Ooh, Mr Malfoy! You startled me!" She gasped.

"It's about Harry! You see, he's-"

"Going to win us this match, I know it!" She said excitedly.

"No! Not that! Professor you need to stop this match!" I demanded.

"And why on earth would I do that?" She questioned.

"Trelawney's prediction! It's true! Harry's going to die during this match, I know it for certain!"

"I can assure you, Mr Malfoy, that whatever Professor Trelawney has said is certainly inaccurate. Mr Potter shall not be dying any time soon," she said.

"You don't understand! I went to her again. She had a genuine premonition, Professor," I shouted.

"Mr Malfoy you are wasting my time. I am not stopping this match, and neither shall you be delaying it any further," she insisted, and with that, hurried away.

That's it. Nobody would listen to me. There was no stopping this match today... Unless...

I stood thinking about it for some time, and came to the conclusion that if nobody would do anything to stop this then I'd have to do something about it myself.

Perhaps if I sat and watched the match carefully, and if I saw anything try to hurt Harry I'd do some magic to stop it.

The only problem was potentially hitting him with my spell, and that being the cause of his death.

I'd have to find someone who was better at magic than me; someone who'd be able to perform spells more accurately and destroy any dangerous bludgers.

Hermione.

I heard a whistle, bringing me back to my senses, and a cheering crowd.

The match had just started!

I didn't realise how long I'd been standing here thinking.

At once I ran like I never had before through the deserted stands to find Hermione when suddenly I felt a force pull back my robes into a corner.

I turned to face whatever it was and discovered it was Pansy.

I opened my mouth to shout at her but then her lips met mine. She was kissing me.

I tried to pull away but she wouldn't let me. I panicked. Harry was out there about to die and here I was snogging my enemy.

What happened next all happened too fast- I heard a strange crunch in the distance and a flurry of gasps from the crowd.

Realising what had just occurred, I slammed Pansy against the wall so she'd get off, sped out onto the pitch and stopped dead in my tracks.

There, lying motionless on the grass was Harry.

I felt dizzy. Everyone was pointing. Tears were streaming down my face.

"HARRY!" I screamed.

But I was too late. Harry Potter was dead.