Chapter 43

Draco's P.O.V

I was thankful when the bell rang for the end of Divination. The remainder of the lesson we didn't do anything but sit there in silence, not knowing what to do or say.

Trelawney was sitting at her desk sobbing away, and as for Harry; well, he was acting as if he had just heard a real death prediction.

I mean, come on, we all knew Trelawney's nuts! Every year she predicted Harry's death and each time she was wrong, so why should now be any different?

The whole class seemed frightened, was I missing something?

Even if her prediction felt genuine, she couldn't be right. Harry was the master of death. (I know he isn't anymore, Draco's being facetious)

Anyway, as Harry and I walked back down the corridor after Divination I kept trying to get his attention, but he just kept ignoring me.

"Harry, come on, you can't honestly believe her," I went on.

No reply.

"Harry! For Merlin's sake answer me!" I shouted.

He sighed and shook his head.

"I don't understand why everyone's being so serious about this. We all know how many times her predictions have been wrong. Just tell me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to know, but-"

"BECAUSE- because why, Draco, would each and every single time this has happened it hasn't affected me like it has now? And why would this time I actually feel like she was being serious when in the past I thought nothing of it? You answer this, Draco," He shouted suddenly, stopping right in the middle of the corridor.

I stood staring at him as others passed us even though we were blocking the way.

I didn't say anything for a while, and it wasn't until I noticed a single tear trickle down his cheek I slowly approached him and put my arm around his shoulders, as he cried into my neck.

We stood there for minutes, me rubbing his back sympathetically while listening to his muffled, silent sobs. People gave us weird looks as they passed.

I finally removed my arm from around him and took his hand, leading him away from the crowded castle.

I took him to our place in the trees near Hagrid's Hut, and by the time we sat down he had stopped crying.

"Harry, if you want to talk, you know I'll always listen," I said softly.

"Thank you," he replied and took a deep breath.

"Well you see, I've always thought those predictions were stupid. You know that. Every time I thought nothing of them, really. I know this sounds ridiculous, but today I felt like what she said actually means something, you know. That's never happened before. I could just be being dramatic, but I wasn't the only one that thought so. You saw- the entire class kept serious! And, well I hate to say it, but... I'm scared, Draco," he whispered.

I understood what he meant, everything he was saying made sense. I didn't want to admit this, but I decided he was right.

Maybe Trewlawney's prediction was genuine, after all.

I pulled Harry closer into a hug.

"Draco... I don't want to die," he muttered.

"You won't. I won't let that happen," I said confidently.

"You serious?" He asked.

"Yep. Don't worry, as long as I'm with you nothing's gonna happen," I assured him.

"You promise?" Harry whispered.

I unwrapped my arms from around him and looked into his green eyes.

He looked scared. In fact, saying so would be an understatement. He looked more than scared.

I'd always thought of Harry as a brave person, who wasn't afraid of death. I would've asked why he was as scared as he was, but now wasn't the time.

He needed reassurance and protection. I was prepared to protect him. I'd save his life, if I could.

As I stared into those beautiful eyes of his, I finally understood the real reason behind his worries: he was afraid of losing me just as much as I was afraid of losing him.

"I promise," I said.