MEGUMI. 02

⋄

everyday when the younger Fushiguro got up for the day, he'd find himself following his casual routine: he'd wake up, go to school, go home, eat, shower, sleep, and repeat. that's what everyone's life basically was.

it's pretty depressing if you think about it.

in between his routine, he couldn't ignore the 2 figures that tried to remain hidden behind the hallway corner everyday to see him return home.

everytime he looked in their direction, they quickly retreated, their steps no longer becoming audible to the human ear.

he did that each day, the same gesture, looking in their direction and waited for the noises to dissappear. it became a natural thing for him to do at that point.

he didn't understand why she picked up that habit of waiting for him to return home. maybe she was bored.

but it wasn't like he cared, at least at the time.

________________

today was like any other day, he'd wake up go to school, and go back home.

he was already expecting (Y/n) to be hiding behind that corner, waiting for him to open the doors of the Gojo estate.

today, he decided he'd do something different.

instead of entering the estate from the front, he entered the side. this allowed him to enter and approach the girl from behind.

(Y/n) waited behind the hallway corner with Mochi who was curled up by her foot. she waited, but noticed how Megumi wasn't there yet. it had already passed 5 minute since his usual return home.

is he not coming back?

"oi."

the girl jumped, startling her ball of fluff. she was ready to make a run for it, but Megumi already had an arm around her waist, preventing her from escaping.

she was trapped and caught red handed─even though this was going on for a few months already.

"why do you wait here for me?"

(Y/n) said nothing as she fiddled with her fingers, refusing to look up at the boy who had her trapped.

"there's no point in hiding it."

"...i just want to see you return home."

Megumi turned her to face him. he looked at her dead in the eyes as she refused to look at his, looking down to her left.

"no one comes to visit anymore. oji-san doesn't come home sometimes. everyone is too busy. only you and Tsumiki return home everyday, but Tsumiki doesn't even come until later because she's older."

Megumi was silent. too stunned to speak in fact.

this is the most he ever heard her talk or form proper sentences.

he would always hear 'yes' or 'no' or even see simple nods whenever she'd communicate to the maids, Gojo, or her grandparents.

she was practically mute.

but that aside, she wasn't just waiting out of expectance, she waited out of worry. worry that someone close will just come, then suddenly go, leaving her behind. she was worried she'd never see the people she cared for come back.

after being introduced to the people considered family to her, she got attached. she wasn't ready to let go like she did in the past. she was scared of feeling alone again.

she feared that Megumi would do just that even though they never talked once since his arrival.

Megumi sighed as he looked at her again with a blank expression.

he took her wrist and pulled her down the hall.

"w-where are we going?"

"you're probably bored right? only having Mochi and waiting for me to come home only for me to do my own things. we can play."

"but you have homework."

"I already finished.

he didn't finish it. he still had a couple of pages to work on, but not like staying up a couple of hours will hurt.

"but first I want to eat, I'm hungry. you should eat too, you're skinny and tiny."

"i-"

*growl*

"see you're hungry. did you starve yourself waiting for me?"

"no..."

"that sounds like a lie."

"i-it's not!" (Y/n) squeeked.

Megumi allowed himself to indulge in a tiny smile with a sigh as the girl tried to defend herself.

i'm not going anywhere.

________________

things were still the same. he got up, went to school, and went home.

but today like the many days prior now, he was now greeted by a white-haired girl and her matching counterpart on the engawa.

each day she noticed his presence returning home from school, she'd exclaim, "Megumi's home!" to Mochi, who seemed to be understanding the human language better.

of course her voice was really light and frail, so it was more like whispered cheer.

and each time Megumi saw her on the engawa he'd allow himself to smile.

he was happy see her.

she was happy to see him.

Megumi could only recall 1 of the first things he said entering the Gojo estate.

"I don't need friends."

he laughed to himself. he supposed just this once, he needed at least 1 friend, that 1 friend only being (Y/n) Gojo.

__________________________________________

"stay by my side, ok?"

- anon