Chapter 10

HERMIONE P.O.V

"I'm telling you, Harry," I say, using a ruler to draw up a square. "He's really changed. We're-friends now. And he no longer uses the fact that I'm a muggleborns against me."

Harry shrugs and continues tearing strips of paper.

"I'm just surprise at how much you've managed to change his opinion of you and in so short a time."

I smile at his words and shrug happily.

"I have my ways."

I'm in the Gryffindor Common Room drawing up Harry and Ron's NEWT revision timetables. You don't have to tell me that they should be doing this themselves but, come on, think about just who we're talking about. Exactly. This year has been the hardest yet. Ginny doesn't know how easy she has it. And speaking of the Weasley female...

"So, Harry," I keep my eyes down, a mischevious smile on my face. "Is there anyone you like?"

At my words the Boy Who Lived, who is lolling around, resting his chair on its back leg, blushes ferociously. Ah ha! Just as I suspected.

"Who?" I go in for the kill. He turns to look at me as if I've been smoking something of the illegal variety (which, even if I had, I wouldn't be likely to tell you, now, would I?)

"A girl who goes by the name of- nunyabusiness," he laughs, head thrown back, raven hair glinting in the firelight. Oh? Going to play the never-going-to-tell-you-card? Ha! Well, it's not like I don't know, Harry. But I'll get it out of you eventually, anyway...

"You do know that I'll get it out of you eventually, right?" I repeat aloud, turning my gaze onto him. He just rolls his eyes and goes back to tearing up bits of parchment. I repeat the long-suffering gesture.

11:17/ SUNDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER/ 1ST FLOOR/ STAFF ROOM

NARRATOR 

A hooded man stands in the darkened Staff Room. He glances around frequently, but we can't see who he is for he is careful to keep his face hidden.

Suddenly, the door is opened and Snape enters, making sure to shut it behind him quietly. He too glances around warily before coming to stand beside the hooded man in the centre of the room.

"Have you checked the room for bugs?" he whispers, eyes cautious.

"Of course," is the hooded man's reassurance. The Potions Master nods before bringing out a small satchel.

"OK, I want in," he murmurs, dark eyes blazing. The hooded nods, again careful to not let his identity be revealed.

"I knew it would only be a matter of time," from the sound of his voice, we can tell that he is smiling. Emptying some galleons into his hand, Snape hands them over to our mystery man.

"What date?" is hooded man's answer to the bestowal as he pockets the money. A pause.

"7th October," he answers, turning to leave. "Remember, Minerva must know nothing about this."

The hooded man nods.

"This meeting never even happened."

Nodding, Snape opnes the door and departs. A chuckle that we think we recognise emerges from under the mystery man's hood. To our surprise, he reaches up and removes the hood, revealing the identity of someone we should have suspected all along.

But of course. Dumbledore.

12:34/ SUNDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER/ GREAT HALL/ LUNCH

HERMIONE P.O.V