Chapter 13

HERMIONE P.O.V

OK, Hermione, deep breath. It's not going to be that hard. Just remember, keep it short and to the point.

Having decided to take Ginny's advice, I'm standing outside Draco's room about to ask him to forget all about the kiss. It is a good plan; I just need to actually put it into action. OK. One... two...

KNOCK. KNOCK.

I hear something crash to the ground, a muffled curse, then footsteps, before the door swings open and Draco stands there, eyes wide in confusion as he sees me. I gulp, reluctantly. Seeing his handsome face up close after so long feels like a punch to the stomach.

"Can I come in?" my tone is slow and hesitant, my eyes searching his face for a sign of hope that he isn't too alarmed at me talking to him for what must be only the second or third time since Monday night. There is a pause during which his intense gaze pierces its way into my eyes and I shift from foot to foot, uncomfortable.

To my relief, he nods slowly and steps back, allowing me to enter his room. It hasn't really changed all that much since I was in here last, grey floor cushions being the only new addition. I remember the last time I was in here, a week or so ago, giving Draco some milk and cookies, finding his beautiful drawings. I really want to go back to that. I'd rather settle for his friendship than nothing at all.

"We need to talk," I tell him, whirling around to face the platinum haired boy before me. He opens his mouth, as if to say something. Quick! Stop him before he starts talking about the kiss...

"I would really like it if we could just forget all about what happened on Monday," I cut him off, watching him anxiously for a reaction. Good, well done, Hermione. Now all we have to do is see what he says. He stands there, still by the open door, intense blue gaze on me, expression impossible to read. Why is looking at me like that?

"I would really like for things to go back to the way they were," I explain, slowly. Maybe he's confused..? But, apparently not. He nods, eyes still on me, still with that strange glint in his beautiful eyes that makes my heart beat a little faster. Huh. Well, at least we're friends again.

"Right," I say, eyes shifting away from his to look around the room in order to avoid his gaze. "I'll see you tomorrow, then. Goodnight." With these last words, I nod at him and walk past him, eyes down, and shut the door behind me.

Once I'm out of the room, I breathe a sigh of relief. Did you notice that he didn't utter a single word? What's going on with him?

Why is he acting so strangely?

07:58/ MONDAY 27TH SEPTEMBER/ HEADS' QUARTERS/ COMMON ROOM

DRACO P.O.V

I'm so glad that Hermione and I are talking again. And thank God for the fact that she made the first move as there is probably little or no chance in Hell that I, the famed Ice Prince of Slytherin, would have.

I'm wandering around our common room, picking up rubbish left over from last night. We watched something Hermione called a 'movie', something on a big screen that has people acting out stuff on it (apparently the participants earn tonnes of money from doing it, but I personally can't see why) and ate a lot of junk food, including some nice tasting stuff called 'popcorn'. It was a lot more fun than I expected and I suspect, though I'll never admit it aloud, that it had less to do with what I was doing, and more to do with who I was doing it with...

Hermione throws her head back as peels of laughter gurgle from her throat. The light from the fire makes her glossy, honey coloured hair shine brilliantly and amber eyes reflective as mirrors. As I watch her express her evident enjoyment of the film, I can't help but smile slightly. And, I don't know if this is the first time I've said this, but she seems to be one of those rare people who make you feel happy simply by them being happy. I have to admit that I've never met anyone quite like Hermione Granger. It's hard to believe that just a couple of weeks ago, I hated the very ground she walked on and now... now what? I still don't know...