Chapter 20

HERMIONE P.O.V

"You ready?" Pansy asks me, her hand raised to the portrait covering the hole to the Hufflepuff Quarters. I smile and nod. She raps her hand on the painting loudly (the annoying Hufflepuff patron, Sir Cadogan, is thankfully absent) and we wait patiently at the sound of nearing footsteps. The portrait door swings open to reveal a very beautiful, smiling, black girl holding a pen and a clipboard.

"Ah! Hermione! Pansy!" she exclaims in obvious delight," So glad you could make it!" She ticks off our names on her long list before removing two plain silver engraved band from a plastic bag with 'Hufflepuff Season Opening Bash: 16th October" inscribed on them, and passes them over to us. I take mine and inspect the glinting trinket.

"You guys are on the VIP list so... you'll be needing those," she explains. "Roped off section at the back."

She stands back to let us through. The sounds of booming music reach our ears as we enter the soundproofed room. The Hufflepuff common room is packed, people dancing (some on top of tables), making out, chatting and laughing. It comes as no surprise though, seeing as it's the opening party of the season. It's Hufflepuff's turn to host it and they've done an amazing job. The entire room is decorated in whit to go with the winter wonderland theme, snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and the mandatory dress code being white only. The food looks too good to eat and the drink is flowing. Now all we need to do is find our friends. They came about an hour ago, so they must already be in that roped off section over there...

As we walk through the crowd, stopping every so often to say hi to people who greet us, I thank God I am wearing what I am. Everyone, including my blonde companion, is dressed up to the nines. I'm wearing a white, Hugo Boss, men's shirt that reaches mid thigh and is belted with a brown ( I don't know how I'm managing to get away with this), Gucci belt and white strapped Manolo stilettos. I've tussled my wavy and am wearing white gold hoops.

Standing at the entrance to the roped off section is David Crabbe; Vincent Crabbe's younger and considerably more intelligent brother. Unlike his older sibling, I can actually stand to be around him, as he doesn't eat like a pig and just happens to be naturally well built and 6"5.

He smiles as he sees us.

"Hey, you two," he grins. "Yeah, I know who you are. Doesn't everybody? But, you know, formalities and all that."

I give him an indulgent smile as Pansy rolls her eyes, playfully, and we both show him our newly adorned bracelets. He laughs a little before he un-clinks the chain and lets us in. I give him a high five as we walk past.

The VIP section has been charmed so that you can't see from the outside in (all you can see is a white wall), but you can see from the inside out (but it's kinda like looking the darkened glass of a limo window). Inside are the who's who of Hogwarts (4th Year and above only, you understand), mingling, talking, laughing and dancing. There are only around forty or so people in here, in comparison to the two or three hundred in the common room.

White cushy sofas surround the edges of the enclosure and I wave to many of my closest friends perched on them. Now, where are...

"Hermione! Pansy!" A recognisable male voice calls from the centre of a large crowd. Upon hearing our names, all in the enclosure turn to look at us, the vast majority waving and smiling. I wave to the voice's owner, my raven haired best friend. Pansy and I walk over to where Harry, Ron, Ginny, Draco and Blaise are seated on another of the cushy sofas around the roaring fireplace.

As we near, I only just resist the temptation to roll my eyes as I see Ginny and Draco surrounded by well wishers. I hug Harry and Ron and wave at Draco and Blaise.