Chapter 13- Secret of the Abyss- Part I

Lumine POV

She had gone back to Wangshu Inn after working things out with the man, Dainsleif. He had easily agreed to let them commission him, but at a fee of 500 mora, and three answered questions. And he only took commissions related to the Abyss Order. Once again, it was weird. But she guessed she'd know more as time passed.

He had come to Mondstadt on the trail of an Abyss Herald, something that apparently controlled the mages. He had asked her to meet him at the Temple of the Falcon at sunset. So she still had some free time in which she could fill Xiao in on the situation.

She walked off to the highest balcony, and saw Xiao there as expected. "Hii, I am back." He turned sharply around to face her. "Hey, don't sneak up on me like that!" He said indignantly. She giggled and said, "Well, things just took a turn for the weirder." (dunno if this makes sense lol) He raised an eyebrow, his face as emotionless as ever. "Well, we met this man called Dainsleif, who apparently wants to oppose the Abyss Order......."

Xiao POV

"...... and so, I am going to meet him in Mondstadt at sunset." Lumine finished.

He thought about it. Even in listening to her recounts, he could tell that this 'Dainsleif' was not normal. And he remembered having faced an Abyss Herald once, not too long ago, and he didn't like those things at all. Would Lumine be safe in this quest? After all, no one really knew much about Dainsleif other than the fact that he was not from Mondstadt, was a traveler.

Abruptly he said, "I'll come with you guys." She blinked in surprise. "Uh, come again?" He repeated himself firmly. "I'll come with you guys." "Why?" He thought about it. In reality, he wanted to keep Lumine safe, but he very well couldn't tell that to her. So he said, "I also want to find out more about the Abyss Order."

She raised one unbelieving eyebrow, and he wondered if he was that bad at lying. But all she said was, "Alright. Meet me at the Temple of the Falcon, Mondstadt, at sunset." He nodded and turned back to the railings, seemingly immersed in his thoughts.

Lumine POV

She got the feeling that there was more to Xiao's wanting to tag along than met the eye, but she simply shrugged it off. What harm could a little extra help do?

---Sunset---

As expected, when she got to the Temple of the Falcon, she saw Dainsleif there waiting for her. He nodded to her and said, "This temple does bear marks of the Abyss.... The Falcon of the West, though it can soar in the sky, in the end it does naught but hover under the light of the gods." "What do you mean?" A third voice asked at the same time as her.

They both turned to see Xiao leaning against a tree. Dain raised his eyebrow at her. She said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, this is Xiao, a friend of mine. Is it ok if he comes along too? He also works against monsters like the Abyss mages, and wants to know more about the Abyss Order." Dainsleif eyed him from head to toe, then finally said, "Älright, but be on your guard; we can encounter monsters at a higher difficulty than some simple mages." Xiao nodded, walking up to them.

Dain turned around, facing the temple, and said, "Let's head in."

********

They hadn't encountered anything more than some hilichurls and mages. Dainsleif sighed. "Maybe the Herald already left." Lumine thoughtfully asked, "Could you tell us more about the abyss?"

Slowly, Dain said, "The Abyss... Destruction and chaos. The encroaching morass of inconceivable madness. Corrosive powers so strong that even Dvalin, servant of a god, couldn't resist. They desire nothing short of total overthrow of the archons." Paimon said, "You sure seem to know a lot about the Abyss, Dain." He laughed. "Well, we do have some history." Up till now, Xiao had kept quiet. However, now he asked, "What kind of history?" Dain stared at him before saying, "I suppose that's as far as chit-chat goes."