Chapter 15- Herald

Lumine POV

Crap.

She wondered where she got the uncanny and unwanted ability to always attract trouble. It definitely didn't seem to be going easy on her.

She wished Dain had told her more about the the Herald, she was pretty unprepared right now. But no matter, she had fought and seen worse in the past. Compared to that, this Herald was a cakewalk. 

It hissed at her as it took a step forward. "You are not allowed to spy on the secrets of the Abyss Order." it said in a raspy voice. "I shall mete out your punishment!" "Aaah!" Paimon exclaimed. "What is this creature?!" "An Abyss Herald." she told the pixie without moving from her fighting stance. "The one we were tracking with Dain." 

"Dain? Dainsleif...?" the Herald said in that same raspy voice. "I see. You are no pests stumbling in here, but sent by that constant annoyance in our affairs. Does he hate you so much he wants to see you die? Nothing anyone does can change the tide of time. The Abyss.... is UNSTOPPABLE!

Suddenly, waves of water erupted from his hands towards her. She made a shield, also of water, then pushed it in the Herald's direction, slightly staggering it. It span towards her, but she easily dodged, then cornering it with a meteorite of Geo, then using Anemo to swirl hydro and geo together. He kept attacking her with different attacks of water. Pity she was 100% immune. In comparison, she used three elements. 

It actually turned out to be quite an easy fight, not to be called a battle. He had some attack strategies that if you figured out, would make it all a lot easier. It hissed as it stepped back. "That power... familiar. So you are the one.... The person His Majesty is searching for... Well, he shall certainly be pleased with me." 'Huh? The prince of the Abyss was searching for her?' "What do you mean! Explain!" she demanded. It stepped back, a starry portal opening up behind it. "In that case, I shall linger here no longer." It floated into the portal. And was gone. 

Paimon squeaked, "Well, that was that! Now lets get out of here before any more scary creatures turn up." She nodded a bit absentmindedly. They raced out of the ruins to have another surprise. Maybe not such a bad one. 

"Dain! What are you doing here?" Paimon exclaimed, surprised. Dain actually seemed slightly surprised to see them too. "Well, we meet again. A little sooner than I expected."

He raised an eyebrow at the pair of girls, and said, "Judging by your expressions, it seems you encountered something quite strange in those ruins. Did you, perchance, encounter an Abyss Herald in there?" "Huh? How'd you know?" Paimon looked confused. She patted the tiny pixie's head and said, "Well, he probably found some clues that led him here, little kiddo. After all, he is still searching for a Herald. " "Hey! Paimon is not a kiddo! When are you gonna stop calling Paimon names?" "Correct." Dain said. "Could you tell me what happened in there?" She did.

_____________

"Whew! Was that an ambush from the abyss mages? " Dain, calm and composed as ever, said, "No. They were looking through the ruin guards for something of value. Good thing we interrupted them." "Well, Lumi here certainly like to do they same. Chaos circuits, Chaos devices, Paimon just can't keep track!" "Hey!" she protested, hands on her hips. "The Abyss Order doesn't need those!" "Lumine is right, they wouldn't be looking for such ordinary objects. They are looking for something of great historic value, which if combined with the corrupted statue of the Seven, can be potentially disastrous for Tevyat. Hence we must get to it before they do. " "What is this thing, exactly?" Lumine asked, more than a little curious. "I will explain, but later. There is another ruin i suggest we go to first." She sighed and nodded.

______________

Said ruin was actually somewhere she had been before, the time when she had to avoid activating three ruin guards to get to a treasure chest. Of course, that didn't work out, so she teleported away, and came back to deal with the three of them one by one. Sure enough, she still saw their remains. But she was surprised to see an active Ruin Hunter there, some mages dancing around it. Dain nodded at her, and she pressed her lips into a thin line,climbing up a nearby hill, and switching her weapon to a bow. She aimed precisely the machine, careful to not alert any of the mages. It rose into the air, seeming to clean it's blades, before lights began to beep on it, a sort of red circle appearing on her. But before it could release the missiles, Lumine's arrow hit it right at its exposed core, causing it to fall down. She repeated the process, until it finally collapsed into nothingness.