Chapter 20- Abyssal Regret

Abyss Aether POV

He turned behind him as soon as he exited the portal. He had felt a flurry of motion, sparking void energy behind him, and had known Dainsleif, the traitor that he was, had followed them in. Fortunately for them, not so for him, he had exited somewhere else. 

His hands were still fisted. Though he had been keeping an eye on Lumine ever since she woke, and was actually impressed with her deeds, they had finally reunited, spoken face to face after 500 years. It had... not gone the way he wanted. He had hoped that she would at least understand his side, perhaps even join him. Instead, it had become blaringly clear that she would be on the opposite side. Fate and destiny were so cruel. This was the first time he had ever been given a responsibility, by the ruler of Khaenri'ah no less. His last words, which he said as he died a horrible, painful death from the curse gods laid over him, would forever haunt him. "Revive our homeland, Prince Aether. Don't let it die, in the hands of the gods." 

He would never dream of not completing a dying wish. And so his journey, his mission had begun. While Lumine, his dear elder sister, was stuck in slumber created by that God, Asmoday. Another reason to hate the lot of them. It took him a lot of time, years of travelling, to finally unravel Tevyat's mysteries and see them in clear light. And he had seen the truth of this world. 

He wondered how would Lumine react if she knew the truth. Would she then side with him, her brother, or remain with the gods, the ones he intended to destroy? He sincerely hoped it wasn't the latter. While he may be the leader of the Abyss, in the end... He was still a human. He was not some monstrosity, completely devoid of feelings and emotions. Other than his promise to Neathan, the King of Khaenri'ah, the thought of Lumine was what kept him going. How she used to scold him when he broke something, help him when he had a problem, heal him when he was hurt. He remembered her being emotionally strong for him, even when she had just received horrible news of their families' deaths. She was the pillar he had needed to grow.

He knew how betrayed she must feel. But then, this was Celestia's damned fault. Ruling by an iron hand, though the people being ruled didn't know. Forcing him to become who he was now. Outlanders were forever a threat here. He knew, that they wanted Lumine to be completely on their side, so that in the end, after all threats had been vanquished, she would be killed too. Cruelly separating two siblings, on opposite sides of the line. What he had done to her.. was what he needed to do. He knew how bad things could get. But, unfortunately he had sworn to Neathan, that he would do everything possible to revive Khaenri'ah. He had sworn on the River Styx. And everything included his sister, no matter how much he hated it.

He only hoped that the Adeptus going through the same thing could protect Lumine from herself.

(586 words.

A/N Sorry, I can't help myself :'| I just cannot make Aether a pure evil being. And well, a certain wise man once said, "A villain is just a victim whose story hasn't been told." Hey! I love Colfer, no matter what you say! ;P)