Chapter 8

S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W were the worst of the worst. I had been lucky to leave with my life when I encountered them a few years ago. It was a long battle, and I had walked away with many scars that I still had today.

The white cars with the BL logo sped down the abandoned highway, kicking up a trail of dust behind them. I ran across the roof and hurried down the ladder, running into the diner to warn the boys. There was no way I was going to let these dracs-on-serious-steriods hurt my friends. No. I wouldn't let that happen, even if it meant I had to bargain my life for theirs.

"Guys!" I yelled, bursting through the door to find them sitting at the bar area. "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W is coming this way, and fast. Grab your guns, this is going to be a serious firefight."

"But they never come out this late!" Ghoul exclaimed, grabbing his weapon.

"Yeah, well there's obviously been a change in their plans. We've got five minutes, max."

"Wait, which zone were they coming from? Do you think they got Silver?" Jet asked in a panic, obviously worried about Silver Shock.

"I can't be for sure. But when we're done, we'll go straight to her base and check on her, ok Jet?" I tried to reassure him. "Party! Meet me outside on the roof. You and I are going to hit them before they can even reach us."

It was strange to be ordering the guys around like this, but they seemed to trust me in this position, so I just went with it. I did have the most experience in this division, so maybe it was good that I was in this role.

"Ok, so you need to shoot them directly in the head or chest," I told Party as we laid belly-down on the roof, preparing to hit the dracs before they got any closer. "Injuries don't slow them down. They're either alive or dead, with no inbetween." He nodded, but looked a bit apprehensive. "Hey, we got this, ok? We aren't gonna let S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W beat us."

He nodded again and grabbed my hand, giving it a tight squeeze before looking out to the five uniformed cars headed our way.

The cars slid into the lot next to the diner, and Party and I started shooting as soon as they exited the cars. The others were behind the diner, waiting for a chance to ambush them.

Luckily, we were good shots, and the first wave of dracs were down almost immediately. Blasts of light shone into their eyes through their masks, one last spark of life before they were dead and gone. I shot and watched as one fell to the ground, his limbs landing at misshapened angles, a mass of broken bones.

I gasped at the sight, still not used to killing people after all these years. Something about it just bothered me, but I would do it in an instant anyway.

"Now!" I yelled, and watched as Ghoul, Kobra, and Jet ran out from behind the diner, shooting and taking down more dracs.

Party and I hurried down the ladder to join the fight, and went back to back, shooting our ray guns like there was no tomorrow.

But then I noticed that Ghoul was fighting three dracs at once. I knew he could probably handle it, but I wasn't taking any risks, especially since Party and I were in an even fight at the moment.

"I'll be right back!" I yelled to him over the roar of battle as I ran towards Ghoul, shooting anything in my way. Party looked back at me and nodded, giving me a smirk before returning to his battle.

In an adrenaline filled rush, I hurried over to Ghoul, shooting the drac that had a gun to his head. The monster fell, and Ghoul gave me a grateful smile. "Thanks," he said. "Now let's kill these things!"

This time I was back to back with Ghoul, Kobra on my right side. The air hung heavy with death and dust as colorful beams from painted ray guns contrasted to the uniform whiteness of the enemy's weapons. There were only three more draculoids left. We were almost finished.

I looked over at Party to make sure that everything was going smoothly for him, and that's when things started to go in slow motion. His back was turned, his bright hair making him easily visible as the drac came behind him and shot. He tried to move out of the way as heard the telltale zoom as the drac pulled the trigger. He wasn't fast enough. The shot hit him in the chest, and an audible gasp could be heard coming from his lips. He fell to the ground in silence. From where I stood, I couldn't tell if he was breathing.

I wanted to scream and run to him, but the remaining dracs surrounding Ghoul, Kobra, and I wouldn't allow that to happen. In a fury, I killed the remaining dracs with a newfound passion. I wouldn't let anybody hurt these boys and get away with it.

I risked a glance over my shoulder to find Party still on the ground, a small pool of blood by his chest. The rest of the boys would be able to handle the few remaining dracs. I ran to him, kneeling to the ground and grabbing his hand. He was thankfully still breathing, but barely. His breaths came in shallow gasps and his eyes were shut tight. "Party! Party! No. You can't die. Please. Don't leave me! I-I love you," I admitted, letting a single tear fall from my eye. As selfish as it made me seem, he couldn't leave me. I don't know what I would do if he wasn't here. Without me realizing it, Party Poison had become a huge part of my life. Without me realizing it, I had fallen in love with him.

And now, he was about to be taken away from me.

The quiet of afterbattle washed over us, and Jet came running to us. "We've got to get him inside! Is he still breathing?" When I nodded, he continued, "I might be able to save him, we need to get him inside though."

Kobra and Jet picked Party up, carrying him inside as Ghoul and I ran to find the medical supplies for Jet, who had the best experience with these situations. He knew basically everything about these types of wounds, while the rest of us knew little beyond how to stich up a few wounds.

Party was laid on the table when we entered the diner, and Jet began to inspect his wounds. I reached over and grabbed his hand, praying that he would be okay. The wound looked fairly severe.

"Will he be alright?" Kobra asked in a hushed whisper, fear for his brother evident in his eyes.

"I don't know yet," Jet responded. "He was lucky enough to move before it hit any major arteries. but it did graze right by his heart. I'm trying to stablize him now."

My heart was in my throat by this point, Jet's words barely registering in my mind as I gently brushed the strands of fire red hair out of the face of the man that I loved.

He was in a fitful sleep, his face showing that he was in obvious pain. His regularly smooth features were now a sharp contrast to usual, his brow furrowed and his mouth set into a straight line.

To say I was worried would be an understatement. There was a serious chance that Party Poison could die, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Jet-Star finished stitching Party up about half an hour later. Jet said that he believed Party would be ok, but he couldn't be sure, we would have to wait and see.

I didn't get much sleep that night. I slept next to Party in the diner, grasping his hand tightly like it was the only thing I had left.

And maybe it was because he was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A/N: Hey guys! So I tried to make this an eventful chapter, hopefully you liked it!

I'm really enjoying writing this story, and I hope you enjoy reading it! So don't forget to vote and comment, because it makes my day when you do. :) And the song of the day is Fire by Sleeping With Sirens.

-S