Chapter 9

"Toxic?" I heard a musical voice say through my haze of sleep. My eyes fluttered open, and I realized that I wasn't in my room, but instead in the front room of the diner, tightly holding on to Party Poison's hand.

I lifted my head up from the table to find the bright-haired boy that I loved looking at me, and I realized he was the one who had uttered my name.

"You're awake!" I said with a start as I realized he was still alive, and that my dreams of him dying were just that. Dreams. "Don't you dare ever do that to me again! I thought I lost you!"

He laughed and tried to sit up, but winced in pain before I gently pushed him back down. "No. You're on bed rest for at least a week. Jet's orders. Speaking of, where is he?"

"Probably went to go check on Silver. Where else?" I nodded as he said this. "What even happened to me? One second I was killing dracs and the next I wake up and can barely move."

I recounted the events of last night to him, while he listened intently. "Oh," I mentioned. "So it was concluded when you got shot, it went straight through your chest, somehow managed to miss all of your major arteries, but grazed right past your heart, and may have broken a rib or two. I don't even know how, don't ask. The medical field is not my area of expertise. That's just what Jet-Star said."

"Well aren't I a trooper!" Party laughed. "How on Earth did I survive that?" I shrugged.

"I was told to tell you that you can't go on any missions or train for at least two or three weeks," Ghoul said, walking into the room holding a can of Power Pup.

"You've got to be kidding me! I'm fine!" Party exclaimed, and then, as if to prove his point, he tried to get up. He winced and fell back down.

"See. My point exactly."

"I'll be fine in no time."

"No, you're on bed rest." I butted in.

"And are you on that with me?" Party said suggestively, raising his eyebrows.

I swatted his arm and rolled my eyes. "In your dreams, Party."

"Maybe yours."

"Make it stop!" Kobra yelled from across the room, where I had just noticed he was sitting. "I do not need to hear my older brother trying to seduce his girlfriend. You two make me sick!" He gagged and walked out of the room.

"Oh shut up," I rebuttled, kissing Party's cheek before sticking my tongue out at Kobra's fading figure.

"So does this mean we're like-" Party began to ask.

"We're whatever you want us to be."

He smiled at me, seeming to forget the pain that his body was in for a moment. "So, what are today's plans?" he questioned.

"I think the boys are doing a sweep of the zones to make sure that S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W is completely gone, but it's my job to make sure that you rest and don't hurt yourself any more than you already have."

"I can't sit here and be useless forever! I need to get back out there, kill some dracs, raise some hell!"

"Party," I tried to reason. "You're hurt. And I'm not letting you back out there until I'm sure you're better."

He let out a dramatic sigh, and I could tell that it pained him that he would have to be 'useless' for a few weeks.

"Whatever," he finally said.

"Thank you. I'm supposed to stay with you all day, so what do you want to do? Not that you can do much, but you get the point."

It turns out that our day consisted of designing more artwork for the walls of the diner, and working on a map of Battery City. The current one that we had was a bit outdated, and so we spiffed it up and updated it. BL was rumored to be making more drac training centers, along with remodeling their headquarters. Party and I revamped our map, and at the end we were pretty pleased with the work we had accomplished.