Chapter 12

Toxic's POV:

Day 2 of my stay in the hellhole known as Better Living Industries had begun. It was made clear to me that the entire city was covered with dracs, so it would be impossible for my friends to come save me. I didn't expect them to, and I honestly didn't want them to. Nobody would be dying because of me. I took it as a compliment that they considered me so "high-risk." But it seemed that Korse was done playing nice with me.

The torture had begun.

Korse came strolling into my obnoxiously white room, flanked by two dracs. "So Toxic Torrent, we meet again."

"Well, I mean I am kinda chained down here. I guess it was just inevitable," I retorted, adding fake cheeriness into my voice.

"Since you were so uncooperative yesterday," Korse continued. "I've decided that you will be giving us information. Whether you choose to or not is your decision. If you do willingly, you will be rewarded. If not, you will face the consequences."

"As if I'd ever tell you anything," I laughed. Did he really think I'd give in that easily? It was almost insulting.

"Such a shame. You could've been of great use to us. Let's begin boys!" Korse said enthusiastically before walking out of the room. "Have fun!"

The dracs remained, standing before me. "So," I started. "Let's be civil, guys. My name is Toxic, and you are?"

My attempts at friendly conversation failed, unfortunately, as they began to hook me up to some sort of machine. I was still badly injured from the fight the other day, so I wasn't able to physically fight back, making my efforts to stop them strictly verbal. Not that they listened, even after various strings of curses, insults, and threats.

When they were finished hooking me up to some weird looking wires and machines, one of the dracs pulled out a large syringe filled with a murky pink liquid.

"What the hell is that?" I spit.

Neither said anything, but they just walked closer towards me, pushing the hair away from my neck.

"Oh, no, no. That thing is not going anywhere near my neck!" But I was again reminded of my injuries, and could not fight them off as they plunged the syringe into my exposed neck.

I bit back a scream as a white-hot pain coursed me. The liquid must have been some sort of fast-reacting poison, and it was excruciating. My injuries seemed to increase their pain as I tried to squirm around, aching to make it stop. It felt like being showered with a hurricane of bullets. The pain was tremendous. I bit my tongue so hard that I tasted blood. But I would not scream. I would not show signs of weakness in this prison surrounded by the enemy. I would not break, even if it felt like I was dying.

I wasn't sure how long I would be able to last this. It took all I had not to scream out. The pain only seemed to intensify, and I had to remind myself of Party and the rest of the boys. They were waiting for me. I couldn't keep them waiting.

After what felt like hours, the pain finally started to ebb. I still ached tremendously, but the searing pain had begun to stop. I breathed a sigh of relief and slowly began to relax my tensed muscles, melting into the chair.

But, of course, it wasn't that easy. A team of two dracs came strolling in almost as soon as I had relaxed. "Seriously?" I asked. "I can't even have a minute?" As expected, they didn't say anything, but simply motioned for me to stand up. "Really? I can barely move! You guys are insane."

I stood up anyway though, realizing that if I didn't, I would be forced to eventually. And that was not something I needed at the moment. I shakily got to my feet, and was immediately hit down, falling to the floor in a painful heap. But fighting was one thing I knew I was good at. Even at my lowest moments, I was able to forcefully throw a punch. I got back up slowly, trying to bluff them, and then rushed at the taller of the two. It hurt tremendously, but I was able to push the pain aside and hurl a punch at his throat and kick his stomach powerfully. He fell to the floor and I turned to his friend, kicking his legs out from underneath him, and pinching a pressure point on the back of his neck, causing him to pass out.

Knowing I didn't have much time, I jumped over the motionless bodies and ran through the door. My footsteps seemed to echo off of the spotless white hallways as I ran, alerting the BL officials I was free. I kept running, and the door to the outside was in view. But, with as crappy as my luck was, dracs jumped in front of me and came up behind me, surrounding me and dragging me back to my room. My screams of protest and struggling against their iron grips were to no avail, however, and I was taken back into the room and strapped down.

"Oh dear," Korse said as he entered my room after I was 'secured.' "What have you done to yourself, Toxic Torrent? You thought what you experienced earlier was pain? Oh, you haven't seen anything yet."

Party's POV:

"You've got to be kidding me!" I yelled at my companions as we sat in a booth in the center of the diner. I jumped up, not being able to sit still anymore, and began pacing the room.

"Party, listen to us. BL just kidnapped her. Of course they're going to have hundreds of dracs swarming the place! And you guys never finished that map of BL's H.Q., so we have no idea what we're getting into. We need to wait a little bit, form a solid, fail-safe plan to get Toxic out, without killing any Killjoys," Kobra tried to reason.

"No," I argued. "We can't leave her! For all we know she could be dead right now! She could be being tortured while we are sitting and arguing!"

"Poison," Ghoul voiced. "She's a fighter. Toxic's not going down easy, and I can bet she's alive. They only took her to get to you. You're the leader of the Killjoys, of course they'd take whoever you're close to. We'll get her out. It'll all be fine."

This is what Toxic Torrent had talked about before we had something. That Better Living would use us against each other. I guess she was right. But I wouldn't take a second back.

I exited the diner, saying that I needed a minute, and walked down the hallway. I passed her room silently, and ran into my own, sitting on the edge of my bed. Since the day S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W had come and attacked, she had slept in here with me. Something had scared her that night when she had the nightmare. And almost nothing scared Toxic Torrent. So I had let her stay in here with me, and had engulfed her in my arms every night. She seemed to sleep more soundly, and I slept easier as well. But she wasn't here anymore, and it was all my fault.

The memories washed over me for a few more minutes before I pulled myself together and walked back into the diner to the rest of the team.

"Ok then," I finally gave in. "We form a plan. But quickly. She needs us."

A/N: Hi! Thank you so much for 1K reads! I'm so excited and happy right now, you don't understand. I hope you are enjoying Detonators, and the plot is definitely about to thicken within the next few chapters.

The song of the day is She's Got the Rhythm by The Summer Set.

~S