Chapter 14

Toxic Torrent's POV:

After a few days, they didn't have to give me injections. I willingly took the pills, willingly gave my emotions and memories away. It was a wonderful feeling. No pain, just tranquility.

Is this what happiness is? If so, no wonder the citizens of Battery City had no problem with Better Living. The Happy Pills were wonderful.

I start to lose track of how much time has passed. Days? Weeks? I couldn't be sure anymore, and didn't care either.

Where was I? It was a stereotypical white room with no windows, but I didn't know where I was, or how I got here. It couldn't of been that bad though. It certainly didn't feel bad.

The pills also supplied nutrients. I didn't have to eat or drink anymore. It's nice not having to worry about that stuff. Easier.

A drac came into my room, setting a tray with two circular pills, one black and white, down on the floor with a cup of water. I crawled towards the tray and swallowed the pills dry.

A small voice in the back of my head screamed at me. Why are you taking these? This is the very thing you fought against!

But the stronger, louder part of me threatened, This is what you want. Everything is easier this way.

A tiny memory tickled the back in my head of a group of boys, but I couldn't bring it into focus. I think there's four of them, but I can't remember anything about them. The memory blurs again, and then fades away.

Oh well, I think. They couldn't of been that important.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed my feeling of lightness before drifting off into a dreamless sleep until my next round of pills arrived.

Party Poison's POV:

I jumped out of bed earlier than usual and threw on my Dead Pegasus jacket. It had been over a month since Toxic Torrent was kidnapped by Better Living Industries, and I had been a walking corpse ever since.

The boys had tried to get me back to normal, but it was easier said than done. Practicing shooting ray guns with Ghoul or hand-to-hand combat with Kobra seemed to be the only things would get my mind off of her, so that's what I did for most of my days.

But today was finally the day. We were going to break into BL/ind and save Toxic. She was coming home.

I slid into the booth in the diner next to Ghoul and across from Jet and Kobra. Kobra's face was its usual deadpan as he studied the map of Battery City and the Zones. I don't even remember how we got that map. I think Jet stole it off of a drac a few years ago.

Ghoul looked up at me from his can of PowerPup. "You ready?" he asked quietly.

"More than."

"We're leaving in twenty, and picking up Silver on the way there," Kobra interrupted.

"She's coming?" Ghoul inquired.

"As if she would stay behind!" Jet laughed from across of me. "She insisted on coming and not missing out on a good rescue mission. You know how she is."

I was more than happy about Silver Shock accompanying us. The more people we had, the more likely that we would be able to get in and out quickly and safely, and the more effectively we could get Toxic out.

We piled into the trans-am, and I took the wheel. When we picked up Silver, she jumped in the back next to Jet-Star, optimistic as always. "Let's go save Toxic!" she yelled, earning a round of agreeing shouts from the rest of us.

The drive was longer than usual, or maybe it just felt like that. The miles seemed to drag on in the dreary desert, and there was a tense silence in the car, as if everyone were too afraid to say something that would jinx us. But we had a plan. I tried to convince myself that everything would go smoothly, but I couldn't shake the feeling of dread building inside of me.

Finally, we reached the edge of the city, hopped the fence, and split up. Jet, Kobra, and Silver ran to the other side of the city to set up the explosion to distract the draculoids, and Fun Ghoul and I jetted to BL/i headquarters, where we assumed that Toxic was being held.

As Ghoul and I ran along the pristine streets of the black and white prison known as Battery City, I realized that there weren't as many dracs as we had anticipated. Of course, we had ghosted a few, but not nearly as many as we had last time we raided the city. Everything seemed too easy.

A loud boom echoed thorough the air, signaling that the other three Killjoys had accomplished detonating the bomb just as Ghoul and I reached the entrance of the building. The front of the headquarters was all windows, with the BL logo painted on it and was totally stripped of all creativity. It was horrifying. I couldn't believe Toxic had been stuck in a hellhole like this.

A shiver ran down my spine and Ghoul and I raced on, crashing into the lobby and shooting every draculoid in sight. Glass windows shattered all around as we ducked for cover in the midst of panicked citizens.

I ran down the white hallway in a frenzy, barely noticing the pictures of the boys and me hung up on the walls with "exterminate" written on them. That was a lovely view to see in the enemy's territory.

A few minutes later I heard the voices of Jet, Silver, and Kobra from behind me, and turned to see them catching up with us. "Dracs are distracted!" Silver yelled. "Let's get her and run!"

Eventually we reached the end of the hallway, which had one single door. I opened it quickly and rushed into the room to see her lying on a medical-like chair, hooked up to an I.V. and completely unconscious.

Jet, having the most medical experience out of us, began to unhook the wires from her body as I rushed to her. The first thing I noticed was that her hair had been stripped of color, and was now just blonde. Then I realized that she also wasn't in her usual outfit. Her Killjoy colors had been replaced with white jeans and a black tank top-typical Battery City citizen uniforms.

"Shouldn't she be waking up soon?" Ghoul asked as Jet unhooked the last of the wires and I lifted her up. "You took out the I.V. a few minutes ago."

"She won't be up for a while," Jet responded. "I checked what they were giving her, and it was some serious sedatives. We'll be lucky if she's up by tomorrow."

I heaved a sigh as I carried her bridal-style out of the room. What had they been doing to her?

We ran town the hallway and out of the building, surprisingly not being met by any draculoids or Korse. It was almost too easy. The explosion was to hold them off while we broke her out, but it seemed to be working almost too well.

Jetting down the streets to the trans-am, the city seemed to be silent. Where had all the dracs gone? Why wasn't there extra security around Toxic?

We eventually reached the car, and loaded in. I gently laid Toxic across the backseat, where she was still unconscious and unmoving. It was unnerving having her be so out of it and un-alert. Usually the smallest sound had her jumping into action.

"Did that seem too easy to you?" Ghoul asked as we made our way back to the diner.

"I was just thinking that," I replied. "No extra security, no Korse, and the explosion worked extremely well. It all seemed a bit off."

"It was almost as if they wanted us to break her out and all come out alive," Kobra said.

It did all seem odd, but I didn't care at this point. Better Living could rage war against us at any time. I had my Toxic Torrent back, and that was all that mattered.

A/N: Hey guys! So the song of the chapter is Wild One by Green Day!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I have lots of ideas for the rest of the book, so hopefully you like it!

Thanks for reading, and happy summer for anyone who's already on summer vacation!

~S