nine

Cherish rarely ever dreamed, so when she did dream it was always a nightmare

Cherish rarely ever dreamed, so when she did dream it was always a nightmare. Not just nightmares that made one abruptly wake up and have a short cry but rather paralyzing nightmares that she could visibly remember until the next time she slept which wasn't soon enough. Luckily her parents understood she needed a day off from school when she had the nightmares.

By the next morning, Cherish felt well enough to leave the house and go back to school. Only this morning after waking up from a nightmare Cherish was stopped from getting dressed with a knock at her door.

Opening her door Cherish was still dressed in her pajamas making her question what time it was, "Yeah?"

"My love" Odette greets her daughter "you're not going to school today"

"What?" Cherish asks confused while shaking her head, "W-why?"

"Come on, l-let's sit down," Odette says guiding the girl into her room and over to her already made bed

Confused at the ominous Cherish hesitantly walks over to sit next to her mom, "Okay what's the bad news?"

"Hayley and Elijah were in a car accident," Odette informs her daughter of the news she'd been woken up to at 3 a.m. "Elijah only came out with a few bruises and some broken bones, but Hayley is still in critical condition"

Elijah is Cherish's uncle as he's her dad's older brother and Hayley is Cherish's aunt by marriage but she was also Odette's cousin. Growing up it took some time for Cherish to understand how it was that Uncle 'lijah and Aunt Hayles were both related to her yet not related to each other. To no one's surprise, Cherish was closer to Hayley and not just because she along with Odette taught the young girl how to fight. Rather it was because of the time Hayley spent with the Luck-Marie family when Odette had broken her shoulder blade, hand, and leg during her last rock-climbing trip.

Pulling herself out of her headspace Cherish stands up from her bed and grabs the clothes she'd picked out to wear for school.

"My love-"

Cherish cuts her mom off not wanting to hear it, "I-I'm going to school"

"Cherish"

"I-I need to go to school," Cherish strongly states needing something normal in her life even if she was going to be a zombie