Chapter 1

Altan's POV:

My best friend Shane and I were sitting on the porch of the pack house. We watched as four of  Shane's cousins played baseball with Bobby, Quinn, and Blake. 

 Shane was not really the sporty type. Neither was I. Especially because I can't hear signals or anything. I did kinda enjoy watching, but I wished more than anything that I wasn't so different from others. I wished I could hear and that my biological parents weren't enemies if our pack. I get made fun of and put down for these same reasons a lot. 

 Shane and I were almost the same age. I was about eight months older. Shane's cousins were actually all girls. So he's the only boy in the group. 

 His mom is actually having another baby. I think they find out the gender tomorrow. Shane really wants a little brother. I'd hate to be his little sibling if it was a girl. Lately, all he talks about is what he's going to do with his little brother-if he has one. 

 At that moment, a car pulled up and a couple people jumped out. It was Shane's cousin, Oriana, and his Uncle Noah. Oriana was wearing a pretty, yellow dress with daisies on it. On her head, she was wearing a paper crown that read, Birthday Girl. 

 Yes, it was her birthday today. She was 10 today. 

 Her little 7 year-old sister, Grace ran up to her and and hugged her. They were so close. Their dad came up behind them and scooped them up into a big bear hug. 

 I loved when my daddy gave me bear hugs. I love it when he bounces me on his knee and tells me stories. Course with me getting bigger each day, it gets harder for him to bounce me on his knee. But the bear hugs and stories never change.

Bobby's POV:

I'm training to be a pack warrior. It's awesome! My brother, Micah, says I'm really getting good. Maybe better than he is! 

 Yesterday, Altan's mom and dad, and the Alpha and Luna, told Altan he was going to be the next Gamma because Miss Amy and Gamma Cayden can't have kids. Altan was in a state of panic. 

 After he calmed down and went to his room, I was practicing some warrior moves, which includes stealth, so I was kinda spying on him. He was really upset. If I could read minds, I think I'd know exactly what he was thinking. Altan has always been different. He's grown up with so many negative thoughts. I don't think he thinks he can't be Gamma. 

 I remember his real parents and what happened. They were crazy! Some people think he's just like them. And I think, but seriously hope I'm wrong, that he thinks they're right. 

 With all his negative thoughts, I hate to know what it's gonna be like with him as Gamma...But, we know that he wouldn't have been chosen as Gamma if the Alpha, Luna, Beta, the Beta's mate, and Altan's parents weren't certain he could be Gamma. They'd never do anything to harm the pack. I believe, though he may be deaf, he will be a great Gamma.

*The next day*

"Bobby! Have you seen Laura?! She's missing!" my brother, Herold came running up to me with his mate, Ava. 

 I shook my head. "No, I haven't seen her. Where as the last place you saw her?" 

 "In front of the pack house. I went inside a moment, but when I came back, she was gone!" Ava exclaimed. 

 "Calm down, Ava. I'll get my friends and my nieces and my nephew together. We won't stop until we find my little niece." I said firmly. 

 "Thanks, Bobby. I'll take Ava to the pack house then I'll go out looking. Don't worry, honey...We'll find her," Herold replied, giving her a kiss. Every time I saw somebody kiss, it just grossed me out. 

 I gathered Oriana, Italy, Shane, Grace, Altan, Blake, and Quinn together. 

 "Guys, Laura is missing. I think it's best of we split up and look for her. We will split into four teams. Oriana, I know you will want to stay with Grace to watch over her, so you both will be a team. Shane, Altan, you both work well together, so I'm putting you on the same team. Blake and Quinn will go together, leaving Italy with me." They all nodded. "When one of us finds something, howl. We will all meet here within two hours for an update and to switch team members. And, we will meet here if we hear a howling signal." I told them. 

 'You got it, Bobby. Don't worry. We'll find her. I personally won't stop until she's found. And I know everyone else here feels the same.' Altan told me through his sign language. 

 I smiled. "Thanks, Altan. Now let's go!" I exclaimed. With that, we all split up to look for my three year-old niece.

Unknown POV:

I knelt beside the stream to take a drink as I suddenly sat bolt upright. I could smell something. It didn't seem like that of another rogue...It seemed as if..it were apart of a pack. I stood up and got ready to shift if I needed to. 

 Just then, a little girl stumbled out of the bushes. She looked to be about three. 

 "Hey, little one...It's ok. I won't harm you." I said softly, as she cowered in my presence. She knew I was a rogue and rogues were not to be trusted. 

 Now, I know you might be wondering how I'm so different from normal rogues. I wasn't born a rogue and I haven't lost my mind yet. Yes. Yet. After a while of being a rogue, your senses sometimes....take over and...thus resulting in the fierce, feared, non-trustworthy rogues. Most rogues, when they first become rogues, are quite sane. 

 I know what it's like to be lost and alone. Away from your family and friends. 

 I have always loved little kids. Though, I haven't seen any since...I became a rogue years ago. 

 "Are you from a pack, little pup?" I asked kindly. 

 The pup nodded, shyly. "I want my mommy.." she said in her sweet little voice. She sounded sad and scared. 

 "I promise, kiddo, I will do everything I can to get you home to your mommy." I promised her. It would be a hard promise to keep, but I had to do it. I would get her home and I would keep her safe from other rogues that wanted to tear her to shreds.