Chapter 8

Mary's POV:

I was a little shocked to find my mate sleeping peacefully in my hospital room. And even more shocked to find out that I bore his mark. I was a little frightened. Of course, part of me was excited that I bore his mark. This meant that he might actually be willing to finally accept me as his mate. But, there was that part of me that was afraid. I didn't want to harm him or his pack.

 Soon, I saw Bobby waking up. 

 "Bobby?" I asked, in a small, weak voice.

 He opened his eyes and smiled widely. Though I could tell he was still pretty tired. "Mary! I'm so glad your alright!" he exclaimed. 

 "Why..? You let me go back to the woods without a fight or anything. You never introduced me as your mate either. You didn't exactly treat me like your mate." 

 "I know. And I shall always regret that. You are such a strong and wonderful girl. I'm proud to be your mate. I've already told the pack, my family, and my friends. I marked you because I am proud to accept you as my mate. And I hope you feel the same." Bobby explained.

 I gave a small smile. "I do, Bobby....I do.." I told him. 

 "In that case, I'll go get the doctor to look you over, my dear." he smiled and winked as he got up and left the room. 

 Shane's POV:

"Oh, hey, Shane. What's up?" Bobby asked when he came out of the room. 

 I shrugged. "Nothing much. Just found out that I'm having a dumb little sister." I said, almost growling at the last part. Ok, I did know I was wrong. But I was still angry and not really ready to accept her. 

 Bobby stared at me. "Uhh.....Shane? Is everything ok? You seem a little....mad." 

 "Oh, yea, I'm ok." I lied. He nodded and told me he was gonna get the doctor. "Ok, Bobby. Is it ok if I visit with Mary a few minutes?" He nodded and walked away. I went into the room and waved at Mary. 

 "Hi, Mary! How are you feeling?" I asked. 

 "I'm feeling....ok I guess. My head hurts like crazy and I feel pretty weak, but I suppose that's what happens when your attacked by rogues." she chuckled and then winced. 

 "You may want to take it easy. You are still recovering." I told her. 

 She nodded. "So, your Shane, right? One of the boys I talked to after I met Bobby." she asked me. 

 "Yea. I...um....just wanted to see how you were." I told her, hoping she wouldn't ask about Altan. 

 "What about that other boy? Your deaf friend?" Crud. 

 "Uh....He's....k-kinda mad at me right now..." I mumbled. 

 "What happened?" she asked, her eyes wide. It was weird. I think I saw a little concern in her eyes. 

 "It's a long story..." I sighed. 

 "Look, Shane, I don't want to force you to tell me anything. I mean, we've just met so I understand if you aren't comfortable. But, just take this piece of advice. Don't leave it alone for long. If you know that your in the wrong, you need to go and apologize as soon as you get the chance. I'm not saying you are in the wrong. But I think either way, you need to talk to him. I....I've been in a similar situation and I don't want what happened to me, to happen to you." I looked at her, my eyebrow raised and my curiosity peeked. 

 "Thanks, Mary...I'll...I may just go talk to him when I leave here. But...If you don't mind my asking, what happened? What do you mean?" I asked. She sighed and looked away. There was a minute or two of silence. 

 Just when I thought she was going to answer, the doctor came in with Bobby. The doctor examined her and then said she was going to be alright. Bobby smiled affectionately at her as the doctor left, saying he had more patients to check up on. I spent a few more minutes there, without learning what happened to Mary. I bid the two goodbye, saying I had something I needed to do. 

 "Shane!" Mary stopped me as I was about to exit the room. "Please, don't forget what I told you. Talk to him." she said. I nodded and left the room. I walked to the Gamma's house, deep in thought. What happened to Mary? What did she mean? Dozens of questions burned in my brain as I walked. I had to find out. Somehow. 

Altan's POV:

I looked out the window, my head leaning against the frame. I could see Shane coming up the walk. Part of me was curious as to why he was here. The other part of me was still frustrated. Shane soon walked into the house. I think my mom answered the door. I continued to just look out the window. 

 Soon, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and looked to see who it was. Shane. My mother was in the doorway. 

 'He said he needed to talk to you.' she signed. I nodded and then she left. I looked back at Shane who stood there, his head down.

 Then, he lifted his hands and began to sign. 'Altan, I'm sorry. You were right. I shouldn't have judged the baby before getting to know it.' 

 I noted the fact he used the word 'it' instead of 'she'. He was still probably mad, but I think he was beginning to learn. I smiled and hugged him. 

 'It's ok, Shane. You just need time. You'll learn to give her a chance in time.' 

 "Maybe." he said. I shook my head. I wasn't going to say anything. He's been my best friend for years. The only one who's ever stuck by me no matter what. Sure, his cousins, Quinn, and Blake are my friends. But Shane is different. I didn't want to fight with him. We never fight. We always get along. He protects me when I'm scared. And I do the same for him. As best I can.